Topic

Waterproof Shoe Questions

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Scott Bentz BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 12:19 pm

My son is heading off to Yosemite for a school trip in a few weeks. Naturally, they have a long list of items to take. We are fine with all items except shoes. They ask for a waterproof shoe. They will be hiking and spending the night outdoors for a few nights while there. We’re not interested in buying a big heavy pair of boots to hike around in for a few days and not be used much more. We would like to buy a shoe that he can also use on our John Muir thru hike this august.

My son typically backpacks in his cross country shoes, which are highly breathable. However, we have been looking at shoes such as the Montrail Continental Divide GTX (Gore-Tex) or maybe the New Balance 1110 which also claims to be waterproof and breathable. That along with a pair of gaiters should be just fine for what he is doing at Yosemite.

I am hoping some Forum members have experience as to the “breatheability” and comfort level when using such a shoe on a hot dusty summer trail such as the John Muir.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 12:37 pm

> They ask for a waterproof shoe.
They can ask, but will they get?
Idiot committee decision.

I recommend you simply ignore it, send him with his normal backpacking shoes **which you know fit**, and add few bread bags as waterproof liners. If they argue, refer them to the experts at Backpacking Light! (You could also mention the current recession and the cost of living …)

Cheers

Joe Geib BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 12:54 pm

There was a recent thread (and even a Carol Crooker review article) about some Gore-tex socks to use instead of WP shoes.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17130/index.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17552/index.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17451/index.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/podcast_allegheny_footwear.html

This should give you lots of guidance.

However, I have not taken the jump to WP/Gore socks. I still have some (fairly new) Montrail Gore-Tex shoes, as well as some "colder" boots.

Scott Bentz BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Roger, I guess that is how I feel regarding group decisions. I am sure we are not going to buy some expensive blister delivery devices.

Joe, thanks for the links. They are very helpful. I'll make sure he reads them and makes up his mind as to what he wants to do.

Any other input is still welcome!

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I agree with Roger. In my opinion, the only way to get truly waterproof shoes is to have completely leather, completely plastic, or some combination of the two. This is a ridiculous level of overkill for the hike you describe. Now, if you were planning on kicking steps in slush, then it might make sense. The crazy thing is, if you were to bring Gore-Tex shoes, they would probably say things are OK, but I don't consider them to be waterproof (again, try kicking steps in the Spring slush and see how they long it takes for them to get wet). I can't find the link, but I remember an article which suggests that trying to find waterproof boots is a failed exercise, you are better off finding boots that dry quickly. So, my suggestion is to have your kid use the same boots as he normally does, but if they ask him, have him say they are Gore-Tex boots. Also have him point to the gators (this will assure them that he is no beginner). Bring extra socks, of course. I have a feeling the rule is simply to prevent novices from showing up in sandals and then complaining about wet feet.

PostedJan 28, 2009 at 6:06 am

I repeatedly used gore-tex trail runners (Asics, very comparable to the New Balance) trail running in Massachusetts August and September – at the end of a 1 or 2 hour run, my feet were hot and sweaty. Not horribly so – I wasn't uncomfortable – and really only noticed at the end when I stopped. Never got any hot spots. But I think it is safe to say that hiking all day on a hot dusty trail, your feet would also be hot and sweaty. I don't think I'd blister, though it wouldn't be my first choice of shoe.

(I used them because I wanted to see how breathable they were – the answer: not very. But they were tolerable. And they were great on fall hikes. I think I used them for one summer overnight here in MA – with wool socks – and while my feet were sweaty it wasn't a huge deal. Keep in mind that I don't sweat a lot/overheat very much.)

If your son is going in a few weeks – I'm assuming it is going to be snowy and cold. How cold, I have no idea. When temperatures drop to around zero, trail runners no longer work for me. But that being said, hiking with the WP trail runners I have gotten down to as low as 5-0 degrees and have been ok as long as I kept moving. I haven't used my non WP trail runners hiking – only for winter running. Just because while they are great with breathability and even wicking moisture – I know the odds are pretty high I'll encounter wetness on hikes/snowshoeing and would prefer the extra insurance that even not quite 100% WP shoes brings me, in temps that cold when I'm out for more than an hour or two. (the goretex trail runners failed in wet conditions – no rain, just wet trail, at around 200 miles. But they have done ok in wet snow, although crossing a few semi-frozen streams I can tell some water has gotten in. Not enough to be an issue though.)

He could buy the WP ones, use them for this trip, and then hold onto them for hiking in cooler temps – I know you are located in California so it's not that cold but on days that are wet and cold they would be usable. Then you'll still be getting more use out of them than just one trip. And your son can stick to what he likes in hot weather. That's pretty much what I do. I do prefer the non WP in any temp above freezing though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...