Topic

Thermorest NeoAir

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Scott Smith BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 10:14 am

Anyone out there have an idea on how "R values" relate to outside tempature ratings ? E.g. an "R value" of 2.5 should handle outside tempatures in the "xx to yy " range.

Recognizing that many other factors come into play .. such as tent .. or no tent , location, soil type, etc.

Thanks !

Jon Rhoderick BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 10:23 am

I personally don't read that far into R values, the two pads I have, the BPL torsolite and the big agnes insulated air core have shown me that it is not the deciding factor. I can use the 32* rated big agnes to winter camp, I have used it on snow at 0*F, while the torsolite is thinner and smaller, but with one of the highest R-values for a self inflating, and I have trouble sleeping on that when it gets down to freezing. My guess on the NeoAir is that you will be comfortable to AT LEAST 32, looking at the coverage, thickness, and room for the elbows and feet. This pad interests me, but at the same time I'm wary of the ridges, they could trap snow and ice onto my bag, but I feel that the thickness would be handy for snow camping, helping you isolate your bag from the snow.

Patrick Young BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 10:54 am

Ryan Jordan has a blurp about the NeoAir on his blog. Apparently he's been testing it during this winter.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Do a seach for posts by Richard Nisley. A wealth of information on all things insulation! There was a thread not long ago that addessed this very thing.

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 12:19 am

I'm very curious as to how durable the NeoAir is.

I'm now using a thin, light CCF (Gossamer Gear Thinlight 3/8) in conjunction with an inflatable pad for winter, as a backup in case the inflatable is punctured and loses much of its insulation value.

If the NeoAir looks pretty durable, it would make me one happy camper.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...