Topic

New Panasonic Water/shockproof cam w/ HD video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography New Panasonic Water/shockproof cam w/ HD video

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

New to me, anyway, is the poetically named Lumix TS1/FT1 (name varies depending on what slice of the globe on which you dwell). It offers the equally poetic "AVCHD Lite Motion Picture Recording," which I translate as HD video.

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/ts1_ft1/index.html

Shape and layout echo similar WP models from Pentax and Olympus, but the feature set seems unique. 28mm wide angle is a big plus. 184g w/ battery and card.

Historically, the optics of these folded lens compacts have left a lot to be desired, but every new design is an opportunity to get it right. Leica's participation might offer a step forward here.

*If* you desire bombproof and *if* you desire HD video, this could be the pocket cam for you. You can even match the color to your new Jetboil.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rick,

Thanks for the head up; I've owned 3 Panasonic cameras now and have loved them all. Great to see them enter the waterproof market. I'm now torn between this camera and their other big announcement today: the ZS3 (TZ7), with a 25-300mm lens, HD video, and stereo audio recording, billing itself as the first 'true hybrid' camera/camcorder.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

At least I had hope for a few seconds that there might be a good waterproof camera that used AA batteries. Doesn't say anything about USB charging either. All I want is a standard of some nature so I don't have to carry around a bunch of charging crap.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rick

Interesting.
    No manual mode as far as I could see?

Cheers

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Roger,

As far as I can glean from the specs, there's no manual focus, no A mode, no S mode and no M mode. There is exposure compensation and autobracketing (buried how far within the menu?), manual ISO, manual color balance adjustment and a raft of focus modes.

Definitely not a photographic surgical kit, but depending on how Panny's done with image quality and responsiveness it might be worth a look among the camera-bashing set. IMHO Panny has done more things right with their compact cameras recently than any other large company.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools