Topic

Gear Find: Wicking, Merino

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Joe Geib BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 4:43 am

I have been searching for a few new/replacement items in my wardrobe.

I wanted a merino wool baselayer for winter activities, but didn't want to break the bank. I found this Merino Crew from Lands End (Item # 25784-6AG1). It's on sale for $20 now, and only weighs 8.6oz. Can't beat the deal! (stock running low).LE merino

I was also looking for a replacement for some of my SS wicking shirts. I saw a sale online recently for some Patagonia Capilene, and almost jumped at it. However, I was at my local WallyWorld last night (a rare occurrence), and saw this Starter Performance shirt (Item 002391044). $7.50 (not $30!!!!). Weighs only 4.6z. The good part is that it is made from 100% recycled polyester, and they also give 1% back "to the planet" (repreve.com). I saw a better color selection in-store.Starter SS

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 6:03 am

Target also has the champion line of shirts similar to Walmarts.

PostedJan 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Hey Joe, I'm a Wally World ho. I have several items that I use and enjoy from those purchases. What pad do you use? I can't remember, but I think you are a pro comfortable pad/ to heck with the weight type of guy. I recently bought my wife and I full size exped downmats (at a huge discount) cuz I think that is the place to put the weight when putting together gear. I'm thinking that 16# vs 14# is a good trade off to have a luxury bed instead of a painful bed. What do you think?

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 6:44 am

I'm using a POE Max Thermo. I have to have an air mattress, it's an old guy thing. I think it's lighter than the Exped, but not as warm. Been good into the 20s for me so far though, and where I live, we don't get a lot of 20s.

Nick! BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 8:15 am

Did you find the wool base layer at Walmart or just the polyester short sleeve shirt?

I have been holding out for the BPL Wool Hoody but it is out of stock. If I can find something similar to it, and at a discount, I just might consider.

Nick

Joe Geib BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 8:20 am

I got the Woolie at Lands End, and the Poly at Wally.

In the text of my original post, there are links to the products (mouse around).

PostedJan 28, 2009 at 10:49 am

I have Target's short-sleeve and long-sleeve version of wicking shirts. They are a little thick, but work great. I use them for running now and for hiking, too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...