Topic

Storage space in bivy? Bivy size question…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedJan 26, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Well i'm planning on making a prototype for my bivy, using the rs180 bivy plans from the rainshed. How much space is really needed length and width? I am 5'6", 51" around the outside of my shoulders (42" chest), 33" waist, will be using a 20 degree down bag and or a 20 degree quilt depending on conditions… how long should i really make the bivy? approximate dimensions of the plans shoulder girth: ~70", foot-box girth: ~62", length: ~98"

it seems narrow in the shoulders, with a super size foot box and fairly darn long. any suggestions on a good size bivy for someone of my short stature?

too poor to buy a Mountain Laurel Designs or anyone elses bivy at the moment.

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 27, 2009 at 8:13 am

Last summer I foolishly set out on a two week trip with a bivy that I hadn't used in 20 years. I've gained about 30 pounds in that 20 years.

It was way too tight. Once I squirmed in (no zipper) it was okay in colder weather, but not in warm weather. There wasn't enough room to get out from under my sleeping bag on 50 degree nights.

I suggest pinning or sewing a mockup out of old sheets and trying it out for a night in the house. Get undressed/dressed, imagine a blizzard or monsoon, etc.

PostedJan 27, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I plan on making a mockup this weekend. My tarptent-for-2's floor is only 86" long and my pack generally goes at the foot of the tent. So i feel the 98" length is excessive, while the shoulder girth seems very conservative. The pack cover can be used as a water proof floor for anything that was in the pack and isn't at night, but under the tarp. The basic plan for use of the bivy is under a 5×9 or 8×10 tarp and not by itself. Momentum top fabric and a silnylon floor, so it won't be a standalone shelter in washington state unless it's a dry summer night. Sunday i plan on making a prototype and tweaking it a bit, but i was just wondering about what dimensions for length and such, were other peoples bivys. The last bivy i used was a gortex GI Issue during basic training in the Marine Corp.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...