Topic

sleeping bag construction

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Dennis Park BPL Member
PostedJan 25, 2009 at 9:04 am

I was looking at Western Mountaineering bags and I'm trying to understand the potential of two features.

Continuous baffles: I understand the down can be shifted to the top of the bag. My assumption is that it adds warmth to where it counts but with a nonstretchy shell the loft can only increase so much (loft was a huge variable on the BPL article for bag warmth) and the down becomes more compact (multiple threads cautioned about wearing too much clothing inside to avoid compressing the down). Is my assumption correct and roughly how much warmer is the bag (a few degrees or 5+ degrees?)?

Second, Western Mountaineering offers additional down for some bags. And again, anybody have a rough idea how much warmth this could add?

Thanks.

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 11:13 am

Both really good questions which I don't know the answer to. 'Continuos baffles' are just the same as what you will find in any down quilt. My MYOG quilt has enough down in it that I would be hard pressed to force the down to one side or the other, but I have seen down bags that are underfilled in the sense that you could easily move the down around (and the down often migrated by itself thanks to gravity and comrpession. So I guess your question is specific to the bag you are looking at. In my experience the Ultralite and Versalite are both well filled bags, but not as well filled as my quilt…

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I ordered my WM Ultralite with 2 oz overfill, which probably adds 5 degrees or so. It made for a nicely filled bag, but I'm not sure how much difference 2 oz really makes distributed over the whole bag.

It's relatively easy to shift a good bit of down to the top or bottom by holding it sideways and shaking it. The down is fluffy enough it does not really compress. It's a good way to cool a too warm bag down by shaking more down to the bottom where it will be compressed under you. It also helps make sure warmth is optimal on top when conditions are colder.

Pam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...