Topic

updating or dropping the AMP ?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I noticed the AMP is no longer on the ULA site. Im wondering if anyone knows if the AMP will get a redesign or be dropped?
I loved the compression system and the size- but the straps were way too uncomfortable and they had no sternum strap to help.
I hope there will be newer version with the standard ULA straps and its kept simple and stripped down.

Miles Barger BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Seems like there’s a good chance it’ll be replaced by the Ohm, which sounds like an Amp+suspension system. Brian’s been working on it a long time, and notes on his FAQ that it’s coming soon.

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 6:17 pm

It is my understanding that the AMP will be back along with the OHM, but I may very well be wrong.

PostedJan 24, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I just received an email from Brian Frankle (ULA) on Saturday stating that the "Amp is dead" to be replaced by the Ohm. He said to lok for it in February.

This was sad news for me as I thought the Amp was the perfect pack in that category.

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 1:02 pm

BPL-er's,

Just to clarify, the AMP is indeed dead for '09. The OHM is going to be available very soon, but should not be anticipated as a direct replacement to the AMP as it is a much different pack. Yes…that means heavier, but the weight is very well justified in my opinion.

OHM info/pics will be posted the first week of FEB '09 and orders/inquires can be placed as soon it appears online.

Future plans do include a pack to replace the AMP that is more inline with what the AMP represented, but will not be available until I make certain ULA can handle adding another pack to our lineup AND meet production.

As always, thanks for your continued interest in ULA.

Brian

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Brian,
Thanks for the info.
From pre-production reports of the Ohm that I saw, it doesn't really look like an Amp replacement, although I'm sure some things have changed for the final production.

Keep us updated (salivating) on the real Amp 2! In my mind, no one is making a pack to compare t it in that weight , price, features or performance category. It's a mystery to me as to how you will improve on it, but can't wait to see it!

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I second that.
I thought the AMP was the perfect design for days and weekends. When I had one I got the detachable front pocket and found that I liked it best as is without the add-ons. I agree there is nothing on the market to fill that niche, it was durable, compressed awesome, and was the perfect size.
I was just bummed that the straps just weren't comfortable on me.

PostedJan 26, 2009 at 2:24 am

I'm sure Brian has his excellent reasons for discontinuing AMP production but I'm just glad I got mine. For me it is the perfect little pack for one to four days of hiking. Never experienced any significant discomfort with the straps. This small pack required a bit of a learning curve for me and I still experiment with loading techniques, but a fine pack.

Cheers

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedJan 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I recently bought a Conduit from ULA. At first I wanted the Conduit, then got interested in the Amp. I talked to Brian about why they were dropping the AMP. He said there were two reasons: durability and the difficulting obtaining materials for the Amp. I really like the features of the Amp such as the hip pocket, waist belt, and optional pocket. The Amp was really lighter than I had originally planned when researching UL packs. So far I am thrilled with the Conduit, although it weighs about 7oz more.

– Nick

liang kong BPL Member
PostedJan 26, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I come here to say good bye to amp.It's really a nice pack for weekends,but the should strap is a little bit easy to crease after folding.Any way it is still my first pack for hiking.
Hope to see the better design of Ohm

PostedJan 26, 2009 at 11:40 pm

"Just to clarify, the AMP is indeed dead for '09"

Brian
As a proud Amp owner I would have preferred a gentler disclosure.
For example " the Amp has not been well lately but we hope for a speedy recovery"
Maybe followed by " In spite of some considerable efforts on our part, all is not well with the Amp"
By then I would have come to accept that I posses an extinct product that no doubt will become a collectors classic.
Franco
If you know the joke, Grandma was on the roof the other day…

PostedFeb 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

As a proud owner of both the Conduit and the ill-fated Amp, I just wanted to say that I have been very happy with both packs. I found that the Amp was a great warm weather multi-day pack. I look forward to hearing more about the Ohm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...