Mike, The Golite Jam2 comes with a pad that is cut to fit into the sleeve. I assume since yours is used that the previous owner has removed the pad to save weight. You could make a pad from any closed cell foam.
You don't really need the pad for backpacking if you use a sleeping pad to frame it out. There are a few techniques for doing this. One is to take a closed cell foam pad like those sold by gossamer gear and roll it up into a loose tube. Drop the tube into your pack and let it unroll. You can now pack a sleeping bag into the tube and rest of your gear on top. I have a Jam2 and this is what I do.
Technique number 2 is to take a pad (closed cell or self inflating) and fold it down to 12" sections. This might be into thirds or fourths for shorter pads. The pad is probably about 20" wide (about the length of your torso). Place the folding pad against the back of your pack (I doubt it will fit in the sleeve) and pack your gear around it. Tighten the compression straps to give your load a tight structure.
The only time I find I really need the pad that comes in the sleeve is when using the pack as a day pack. Then I dont have enough gear to fill the pack out and make it rigid. By using the compactor system (little clips on the bottom) I can turn the Jam2 into one nice daypack, placing most stuff in the big front pocket.
Hope this helps, Jamie