Topic

Lightweight internal frame panel loader pack suggestions?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Kari Post BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 1:59 pm

My boyfriend and I are serious photographers, and I am looking for a pack I can use while on backpacking photography trips. I used by Osprey Talon 44 this past weekend while shooting on just an overnight car camping trip, and I found it very difficult to access my photography gear (a professional Canon 1D series DSLR and 2-3 lenses) from the top of the pack while shooting. All of the photo backpacks I have owned in the past are panel loaders (as well as incredibly uncomfortable with poorly designed harnesses and suspension), which makes accessing gear much faster and easier. For backpacking photo trips, I think a panel loader would be indespensible, because it would allow me to access my photo gear without removing clothes and other items packed on top (it would not make any sense at all to pack the heavy camera equipment at the top of the pack). With the bulky camera gear, I find that having an internal frame is preferable to a frameless pack, as lenses poking you in the back are pretty uncomfortable.

Therefore, I'm looking for recommendations for packs that fit the follows specs:
– Panel Loading
– Internal frame
– Lightweight
– Capable of comfortably carrying loads up to 40lbs
– Durable fabric (like dyneema gridstop) and construction
– Way to externally attach and carry a tripod with ballhead

Any suggestions?

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

^^^

Which was first announced in a podcast in 2006, if I remember correctly.

PostedJan 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I was going to say the same as Brad.

Latitude Vapor is 2 pounds 10 ounces, carries up to 30 pounds.

Nimbus Latitude is 3 pounds 8 ounces, carries up to 40 pounds.

If you really need to haul more than 30 pounds, skip on the Vapor. They both unzip from top to bottom from either the top or bottom:

PostedJan 25, 2009 at 7:16 am

Kari,

I own a Traveler, but I have not used it enough to review it.

I have a lot of Six Moon Designs products and have always been satisfied.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...