Topic

seeking 7000 series aluminum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear seeking 7000 series aluminum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I've been looking around for a source of 7000 series aluminum sheet (pretty thin, about 0.015") for an MYOG project and haven't found anything despite a fair amount of digging. There is plenty of 3003, 5052, and 6061 to be had, but no thin stock of 7075 or any other 7000 series alloys. Any ideas?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Google '7075 aluminum sheet'. Tons of hits.

Cheers

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

I'm familiar with Google.

It can be hard to know what tone to infer from forum posts, sometimes. I'll give yours the benefit of the doubt, Roger.

The details of the sheet metal I'm looking for are in my first post. I suspect that very thin stock of the 7000 series alloys is uncommon because those alloys are difficult to roll. If one needed something else, like thicker sheets, or larger quantities, one would not have to do much searching, as Roger found.

Anyone else have any tips for sourcing a small quantity of very thin 7000 series aluminum sheet?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Colin

OK, 0.015" is harder. 0.032" is pretty easy to find – try Online Metals for that.

Alcoa do make 7075 T6 sheet (and several other tempers) down to 0.008". So #1 suggestion is to ask them for a stockist. Let them do the work!

Aviation metals may be able to quote. Eagle maybe too.

I doubt anyone will be able to sell you less than a whole sheet though.

Cheers

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Did McMaster Carr not have it in stock?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

No, they didn't have it in stock. I also contacted Alcoa directly, and many distributors and surplus places. I settled for a sheet of 0.025" Alclad 7075 (I don't need the cladding and I was hoping to find thinner). Thanks for the tip, though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools