Topic

Z-packs Blast 26

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 8:54 am

Just wanted to show this off a bit since I didn't see them mentioned in the 'Lightweight Backpacks 2008' article. Most of you probably know, but the Blast series are made from a heavy duty grade cuben fiber (not sure exactly what grade – I even think he could go lighter, but that's me :))

I ordered on the 16th, and arrived today – no wait time! thanks Joe!
I just went for a walk with it and it is awesome. I still can't believe how many features it has at such a low weight.

Blast 26 Link below:
http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/blast.shtml

I added the following options:

Cuben winged hipbelt w/ padding
3/8" Shoulder padding
Large Torso
Sternum Strap
Daisy Chain
Hydration Port
Shock Cord Lashing
Top Strap
Ice Axe Loops
Sleeping Pad Sleeve

This thing still only weighs 7.9 oz! I don't know of any other packs offering this many features at this weight. Amazing…The front pocket is a huge selling feature for me and the hipbelt pockets are massive. Definitely worth checking out.

PostedJan 23, 2009 at 9:16 am

Steven,
You BETTER show us some pictures of your fully loaded pack next time you head out !!!
Can't wait to see it in action!

Thanks !!!
Kevin

te – wa BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 9:31 am

there was some discussion (and complaints on my part) that Zpacks didnt make the article.. even tho Joe has been making them for what, 4 years?
I talked to Joe and he told me its 1oz/yard cuben. He also said that the durability is jeopardized at lighter weights. My blast has survived tons of Catsclaw Mimosa and Shrub Wild Oak with minor "shedding" I patched a hole with duct tape miles ago and its fine. I think the average hiker who doesnt bushwhack for a living should fare quite well with this pack. (plus, Joe will do custom work, like cuben tarps and odd sized packs – he made a blast 16 that i use for sub 4 hikes)

PostedJan 23, 2009 at 9:42 am

Mike, you said –
"I talked to Joe and he told me its 1oz/yard cuben."

From his web site under Materials –

"~1.5 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber fabric. This is the material used in the "Blast" backpacks. It has more than twice the spectra thread count of the .6 oz version, and has a thicker membrane as well. It has high tensile strength, and very good abrasion and puncture resistance. Much stronger than sil-nylon or the .6 oz fabric."

And before I found it on his site I emailed about weight to which he responded "1.5, not the lightweight cuben of the stuff sacks."

te – wa BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 2:48 pm

the blast 26 and the z1 are identical. neither comes stock with a waist belt. so the weights for each pack sans waist belt (all other things being exactly equal, besides the fabric) is:
z1 – 4.2oz
blast – 3.9
this means that if the sil is 1.3, there is no way the cuben can be 1.5
he told me in person it was 1oz/yard. maybe this has changed and his website needs to reflect this. I dunno. call him to be sure.

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Being the gear junkie that I am, I actually have some 1oz/yd and some 1.5oz/yd cuben. While I agree with Michaels logic (because it makes sense), comparing the 2 fabrics to the fabric of the pack, it seems that the pack is 1.5oz/yd…but really it's tough to tell. Does Joe post on these boards to resolve this great mystery?

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 24, 2009 at 5:09 am

Zpacks website says it's ~1.5 so that was estimated. It's probably a little less?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...