Topic

Could use some advice on a rainjacket for a specific application…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I work for a company in SE Alaska that offers whale watching tours. This is my second year and before coming back I would like to get a decent rain jacket that works for what I need it to. The rain jackets they give us are wet in 10 minutes and stay wet forever.

I need something that is breathable and waterproof. I am in Juneau and working on a boat so it needs to be able to take quite a bit of rain as im outside a lot on the tours. I dont mind about weight or noise, as this is not for a hiking application. I would possibly be using this for fishing trips as well. If you guys have any suggestions i'd appreciate it.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Will you be doing much physical activity whilst wearing the jacket?

If you're involved in relatively heavy physical exertion (equivalent to, say, walking up a hill for 30 minutes) then you might want to splash out and get an eVent jacket. These are considered to be the most breathable jackets available so that you won't get wet from the inside due to sweating.

If you're mostly standing around you may as well save yourself some money and get a cheaper alternative such as one made from gore-tex.

In terms of staying dry when you aren't doing much physical activity, almost any rain jacket will work. Finding something waterproof is not a problem… the problem is usually getting something waterproof *and* reasonably breathable.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I would be reasonably active. I help tie up the boat, I will be doing engine checks, and walking around the vessel. The boat hold 150 people and has multiple levels so it is safe to say that I will be pretty busy throughout the day.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Well it depends on how much you want to spend. eVent jackets give you the best breathability but you won’t pick one up for under $200.

On the other hand you can get a decent Goretex paclite jacket from Cabela’s for around $100 (see here). Goretex paclite is reasonably breathable… should be sufficient for general jobs around the boat especially in the cooler conditions you usually have in Alaska. I have one for hiking (not Cabela’s, but same material) and it’s fine unless I’m going uphill carrying a pack (whereupon it can get a bit clammy if it’s a warm day or I am pushing hard).

There are all sorts of options around if weight isn’t a constraint. Other than cabela’s I’m not really familiar with them but I’m sure some others here will be able to suggest some “workwear” rain gear.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 7:35 am

Get Driducks (see here )

For your application you can probably get away with Driducks. It is a bit fragile but is as breathable as eVent (MUCH better then gore-tex) The rainsuit (jacket + pants) costs only $16. Save your money.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:37 am

Would the dri ducks stand up to being outside for up to 8 hours at a time in a constant drizzle and keep me dry? The sound too inexpensive to be true :P

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:48 am

I have a pair but I haven't used them yet (will do in the summer). What I can say though is that the cut is awful. I'm 1.86 m and I have the one in S.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:53 am

Driducks will keep you dry, but they are very fragile. For what you describe, I would avoid them. Don't get me wrong, I really like them. I've bought several and they are the only rain gear I bring when hiking or backpacking. However, for around town (I live in Seattle) I own a tougher Gore-Tex jacket. In your case, you really don't need a super lightweight jacket. An Event jacket breathes better than Goretex (or Goretex equivalents) but they cost a lot more too. I think the cheapest Event jacket you can get is from REI. For Goretex type jackets, there are a number of choices. Cabelas (as suggested earlier) is really good; Campmor often has good deals; or maybe the local Army/Navy surplus store might be good for you. Many of the Army/Navy surplus stores carry more generic surplus gear, so don't assume they only carry camouflage colored gear.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:02 am

Joseph DriDucks for your application IS too good to be true. It is waterproof and breathable, but also cumbersome, fragile, and not very stylish at all. You definitely want Gore or EVENT rainwar for working in serious prolonged rain like that. (Last time I was in SE Alaska, it rained for the entire ten days. And I mean every single waking minute it was raining!) Easier to move around in, and won't tear everytime it gets caught on something. If this job is something you'll be doing for awhile invest in good raingear, it will be worth every penny when you're warm and dry in the middle of a howling storm!

If you can, try on jackets in the store before you buy. When I'm out in extended rain and will be wearing my rain jacket constantly, a couple things make a huge difference for me. Does the hood design work for my head, ie does it move with my head? Does it seal around my face if necessary? Is there a good visor to keep rain from pouring across my face? How about length, is it long enough to not ride up above my waist? Are the sleeves long enough to not leave my wrists exposed? Are the pockets weatherproof, and easy to retrieve things from? All these things aren't a big deal when you are only wearing a jacket for an hour or two. When you wear it all day, day after day, all these little details make a huge difference!

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:20 am

Those eVENT jackets look pretty nice. The lowest ive seen them is about 289$ Is there a place to get them for cheaper? Money is no problem as I'd rather have a great rain jacket that works than a crappy one like they give us. Im sure being completely dry would do wonders for morale around the end of the season.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:28 am

well, I used to be a commercial fisherman in Alaska, and the work we did was in many ways similar to what you describe, possibly wetter and with more exertion.

We wore Grundens or Guy Coten raingear, which is waterproof, but not breathable (basically rubber) We used to joke that they were 200% waterproof, inside and outside.

I had a goretex jacket that I would wear hiking when we weren't working, but(and I'm sure this isn't news to you)It rains like crazy in SE, and frankly on a boat where you also are goint to poke around in the engine room, I'd go with the classic oilskin. Cheaper and easier to keep clean by a long shot.

I prefered guy cotens, they have some sort of synthetic lining that drys relatively fast, Grundens are cotten lined, and the liner takes forever to dry, and can mildew more easily.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:37 am

Two options. First. Wait until you get back to JNU and go to Western Auto Marine and buy a Helly Hansen Impertech in a high vis color to go along with your Extratuff boots; your feet and your body will be soaked with perspiration but the tourists will think you are a local. Second option is to buy something Outside that breaths as much as possible — I hike using either Patagonia or OR — and put a piece of duct tape on one sleeve to keep up appearances.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:48 am

Prolitegear.com has a sale on the ID eVent Thru-hiker jacket for $208.98 and the ID eVent pant for $200.98. I can't say enough good things about the jacket, and ProLite gear is an excellent company.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 10:01 am

lol… duct tape is key. That said, for what the OP is suggesting they would be doing, I think oilskins are the ticket. I never found myself getting too wet, except on warm sunny days where we still wore raingear to keep the seawater and jellyfish off our bodies. You sweat like crazy then, but if your on a whale watching boat and it's not raining, just don't wear raingear. I'd buy some xtratuffs as well, love those things.

If you want a jacket you can hike in, well that is a different question, and if you are looking for a jacket that would be good for both, Not sure where to go with that.

You can pick up cheaper heavy duty raingear (perfect for what you are doing) for 20$ for a jacket (the brand I have is called Pro Rainier)Guy Coten is spendier, but better quality.

Edit: Okay, well the OP did say breathable in his 1st post, so, my apologies for filling up the thread w/irrelevant info.

Rick Dreher BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 10:28 am

I agree that WPB fabric is probably the most comfortable if you're quite active and working up a sweat during the day, but I'd also be concerned about getting oil and grease on it in the engine room and around the boat, which could cause the jacket to wet through or even attack the DWR finish or WPB membrane.

If that's a possibility I'd get some ventilated fisherman's raingear instead. It's much tougher stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...