Topic

Alternative Food sources

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I read about powdered hummus in Don L.'s lightweight backpacking book used as a trail snack. I asked a health food store owner if he had any and he said no and didn't know where to get it. My wife noticed several items of interest in the natural/organic section of my local Kroger and after I checked it out, "Wah-lah" there was a box of powdered hummus, along with several other dehydrated foods that would be excellent for backpacking. Just wanted to let other newbies like me know to check out this food source. For some reason, there seems to be a lack of communication regarding where to find certain items used regularly by "in the know" enthusiasts.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Good point. Like the one about full cream milk powder and Imusa pots from "Spanish stores" . Should be good info for the Wiki.
There is a Food,Hydration an Nutrition forum here but I guess that is not that well known.
Franco

Mary D BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 3:03 am

Obviously the store owner doesn't know what he has on the shelves….

"Fantastic World Foods" has an excellent hummus mix which is carried by many stores (even some who aren't health food stores).

There is also a hummus mix recipe on Sarbar's "Freezer Bag Cooking" website. Basically mash up garbanzo beans, add whatever you want (dried peppers, salsa, dried parsley, other seasonings), dehydrate. Consioder adding some freeze-dried veggies like corn or tomatoes. Reconstitute with cold water and a little olive oil; stir and then knead in plastic bag. Serve on crackers, pita bread or a tortilla.

I like to take a cold dinner or two, for nights when I don't feel like firing up the stove and cooking–either I'm too tired or it's pouring down rain or other forms of precipitation, or both. Hummus plus crackers or a whole-wheat tortilla or two is one of those I always take. Good for lunch, too. Even my grandkids (6 and 8 and really picky about their food) love it!

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 9:24 am

You can ask me on nearly any food item and I tell ya where to find it! :-)

Btw, I have links on both my blog and my websites – extensive lists of where to get hard-to-find items. As well, there should be a wiki page that was moved over from the food/cooking section here that we started on where to find stuff.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 11:40 am

I love this website! Thanks everyone for your helpful input. Indeed, the hummus I found at Kroger is "Fantastic World Foods" brand. The Ultralight Outfitters website mentions one brand of powdered milk tasting far better that the others, but doesn't mention what brand it is! I picked up "More Than Milk" from an herb shop down the street from my Kroger adventure. It's made of vegetarian protein. I hope it is good because it costs $5 for enough to make a qt. My next stop is the local "Mexican Mart".(Thanks Franco!)It would probably help if this surfer was a better surfer!

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Thanks Sarah for your website and input. I may have seen it a while back but forgot about it. I now have it on my "favorites" list. Lots of info available to learn. Saw the Ramen Pizza video. Great! Got some even newer newbies that are squeemish eaters going with us on a hike and I betcha they would love that recipe.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I use Organic Valley's powdered milk and also the Better Than Mlk powdered soy milk for my son :-)

Monty Montana BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Donald, also check out the Asian market offerings. I have found some pretty neat stuff there such as dried, shredded squid (think jerky) in both sweet and hot styles, fish flakes, seaweed, etc. Happy trails.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...