Topic

Golite Shangri-La Colour Confusion

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Having decided to purchase the Shangri-La 3, I am now left with the decision of which colour to get. Here in the U.K the sage is now available as well as the bamboo but looking at images on the net (retailers and blogs) I am left wondering what the colours actually are!

Below is a colour swatch that shows the two predominant colours shown on retail sites (bottom) and also the two predominant colours showing up on some blogs (top). For those that have either the bamboo or the sage Shangri-la 3 which comes nearest? Top Right / Bottom Right (for the sage) or Top left/Bottom left for the bamboo?

Also what is it like living with these colours? And which is the better and why? My tents have been TNF mountain yellow (which I like) and Mountain Hardwear lightish blue. I'm strongly effected by light and colour and although subjective your imput may well help. Many Thanks!which colours come close to the real colours of the Golite Shangri-La 3?

Roger B BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 2:03 am

I would say that mine is closest to Web Sage, that is a darker shade of green, hope that helps

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 3:12 am

I would choose the yellow, to maximise light in the tent, esp on dull days. The only advantage I would see with the green would be for stealth camping.

Rod

Fred eric BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 5:50 am

I would choose sage too,
however the bamboo doesnt hurt the eye, nothing like the SCREAMING orange color from my twin sisters :)

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 6:15 am

There is a psychological effect of color choice for your shelter. 99.9% of everything I try to buy for backpacking is green because I want to blend in and not be seen. Things I choose which aren't green include safety stuff or general things I don't want to lose in the dense and green forest duff (i.e. bandana, spork, etc.). In the past, all of my shelters were always green and I could disappear just fine. With that said though, they were very dull to be in and there have been a handful of studies which not only show you'll be happier in a lighter color shelter, but also that it will provide more light. I own a Shangri-La 2 in the web bamboo color and stupidly enough I find myself to be enticed when I set it up and it isn't dreary. Maybe I'm simple minded, but I'm in a better mood when under it with the extra light and general cheery nature. Mornings are also more fun, like you're in the middle of a sunrise.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 7:07 am

I generally backpack in the mountains so I prefer to be seen and be able to find my shelter if I base camp and scramble. So yellow for me. Just make sure it color matches your pack, heaven forbid.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 10:13 am

I to am very affected by colors. Thus this is going to be a very subjective and opinionated post, but since you asked…

I really, really like the orange color of my GoLite Hex 3, and I really, really hate the bamboo of the Shangri-La series. I know this doesn't help you much, but there it is. I still think, however, that I would choose the bamboo over the sage.

I actually prefer the idea of blending in on principle, and I love the color green, but since I often hike solo, I have chosen safety colors over camouflage. Think about the difference in color from a rescue helicopter; the green pyramid tent will look like a small tree, whereas a bright orange tent will stand out.

I came to appreciate the orange color even more once I started using the Hex 3 in rainy weather. Even on the bleakest, dreariest mornings my Hex 3 glows a wonderful, warm sunrise color inside. This really does something psychological for me. So much so that I'm considering painting my kitchen walls orange. I've seen this done in other houses in the PNW, where even on a gray day you get a very warm color. Here's two examples of what I'm talking about:

.Hex 3 at Jefferson 1

Hex 3 at Jefferson 2

Unfortunately I can't say the same about the new bamboo color. I tried out the Shangri-la 1, and it was like puke-yellow. There is just enough of a dirtyness that it doen't provide that 'warm glow'. Instead it's a sickly, jaundiced glow. I think the true color is somewhere in between bamboo and web bamboo, on my monitor at least, but until you've been completely surrounded by the color on a gray day, you won't fully appreciate it.

So my advice; wait and see what the 2010 colors will be, or look for a used Hex 3. The good news is that a warm yellow has been selected as 2009's 'color of the year' here in the states, so we'll probably see a fair bit of products with this.

Last comment about blending in: I don't find the Hex 3 orange to be too disruptive to the environment; it is the color of sunrise, something that is very natural. The colors I find more offensive are the neon blue and neon green you see on many of the cottage gear silnylon tarps, and some bright reds (like my embarrassing Rab wind shirt).

p.s. I hope you don't find the omission of 'u' in 'color' too offensive! =)

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 12:49 pm

This is really fascinating. To my mind every colour (like every sound) has a frequency and I guess we all look for a sympathetic resonance of sorts. I read your post James and thought "That's it, I'll get the bamboo", the idea of warmth, light, and enticement really appeals. I then read yours John and had images of a kind of sick dull yellow reminding me of puke and bile – that certainly made me think twice.

These tents are not in any stores near me so viewing (the ideal solution) is not going to be possible. Waiting until 2010 is also out of the question (all my 'heavy' tents are on e-bay as I write and I need a lightweight tent for my planned treks this year). I love the colour of the Hex 3 but the hex 3's sold in the U.K were the green ones. I've never see the orange one – beautiful colour and so full of energy!

Mike and Roger if the sage is closer to the darker green (which is the colour of the tent on ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk) then there is something about it (a hard edge, something unwelcoming) that I really resist. That is very useful to know because I could live easier with the bamboo than that darker green which seems to have some blue in it as well.

So, puke and jaundice aside, I think it's the bamboo over the sage.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 12:53 pm

David, If I go for the yellow do you think it will match my Barbi-pink backpack?

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm

FWIW, what James and John said.

Although I prefer the concept of blending into my environment, cheerful canopies always win out. I really enjoy being in my various warm-toned tents be it stormy or nice outside, kinda like a feel-good filter. On the other hand, dark blue and green tents I've had have felt a bit oppressive. YMMV.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:20 pm

"David, If I go for the yellow do you think it will match my Barbi-pink backpack?"

Definitely not. But perhaps SpongeBob Squarepants Yellow (my son has one) ;)

Just out of curiousity – and not to increase your choice as you are focusing on the Golite, but MLD has similar products with perimeter bug netting that are lighter. They are available in Bright Yellow as well.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm

The green of my older Hex 3 seems to be darker than the sage green on ultralightoutdoorgear, and darker, but closer to, the web sage of your samples. On my monitor at least. I can't say i've ever really paid much attention to the colours of my shelters, except for the 'blending in' side of things.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Well David, Brads comment did it and I just went ahead and pressed the "pay now" icon at ultralightoutdoorgear!

I have over the weeks been taking a very close look at MLD and their mids but they are in the U.S and not imported here. With the weak state of the pound, the postage, and possibly extra on top to get it through customs it didn't make economical sense to buy direct from the states right now.

The hope is that with the bamboo I feel sunny inside when the grey British weather draws in.

Unfortunately "SpongeBob Squarepants" is not a reference I'm familiar with here in the U.K. :-) that said, I will google it though!

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I just found a bargain on a Shangri La 3, ordered it in green, but was sent the "bamboo".
Whatever, I can't complain when I got it cheap- it's all that was left at the price I found.

I wanted green for "stealth" purposes. I don't like camping in big established sites. I don't like giant yellow shelters sticking out in the landscape. I like the relative darkness inside of dark colored shelters (I have a black tarp and it's fine). I'd never want a bright, "loud" tent for general trekking and forest camping- to me, the bright colors are obnoxious.

That said, I decided to live with it because I think yellow will be good for snow/winter, which will be my primary use for this shelter. A bit more cheerful and light inside on stormy days and easier for myself and others to see in bad conditions.

I'm going to be working on sewing my own "duomid" soon- will definitely be using a color that matches the mountains as it will be my 3-season shelter.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

"Unfortunately "SpongeBob Squarepants" is not a reference I'm familiar with here in the U.K."

That's a good thing. =)

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 1:52 pm

You obviously don't have any kids Clifford! Ask any under 10 kid in the UK, or watch childrens TV! :)

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Craig

I read somewhere on here that the bamboo was chosen by Golite specifically because the colour does actually blend in! I also camp stealthily and it will be interesting to see within what kind of landscapes the bamboo colour does blend – autumn certainly but beyond that I'm not sure.

Your right – no kids Mike, just a dog that watches animal hospital and wildlife documentaries!

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I have to apologize: I was using sage when I meant bamboo. That must have been quite confusing! I've corrected the above post. To be clear: I don't like the bamboo color of the Shangri-La series. As far as blending in goes, maybe in the desert Southwest, but not up here in the PNW. The sage color I think is actually quite nice. But I would still choose the bamboo to be more visible.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Roger what tent is that? I'd be really interested to know. The colour's great and it looks pretty lightweight. Maybe something to think about – different coloured tents for different terrains, times of the year, moods etc.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Joe’s right I am afraid. One of ‘mine’.
Snow tent V1
Outside view, Straight Creek near Grey Mare Hut, 2005. First version (V1).

Later on that one was replaced by a 4-pole tent (V2), which featured in When Things Go Wrong. I love tunnel tents …
Snow tent V2

I just wish we could get someone to do a production run of these. I really do.

The nearest thing to mine is the Macpac Olympus from New Zealand. You would not be wrong in thinking that my V1 was inspired by the Olympus: I had an Olympus for many years, but it was kinda heavy.

Cheers

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Well Roger – If people can peddle titanium whistles on here for $95.00 I'm sure you could peddle what looks like a great tent for $300.00!?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Loading...