What about purchasing the Golite Shangra la1 nest and placing a tarp over it? Or, what about a sheet of silicone impregnated nylon?
Is this is stupid idea?
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
What about purchasing the Golite Shangra la1 nest and placing a tarp over it? Or, what about a sheet of silicone impregnated nylon?
Is this is stupid idea?
Not a stupid Idea, works fine. Was pretty much my first UL shelter a few years back with now discontinued GG Spin Solo and lair nest 1, worked great.
Not stupid, but not a tent either.
Any ideas on how to put the nylon sheet over it?
Should I create grommets in the sheet and stake it down?
You will probably want grommets (or you can tie stones into the corners and attach guyline to those), but you will also need stakes and lots of guyline, as well as poles. All up, it won't be a very light option, but maybe cheap if you already have the nest. Otherwise I would scout for lighter and less fiddly alternatives…
I'd need to buy a nest. I can get one for $64 shipped. The nest only weight 1 lb 5 ounces for the one man I was looking at.
I would think a sheet of sil. nylon wouldn't weight more than 8 ounces? Titanium stakes and some line another 6-8 ounces?
Altogether looking at under 3 lbs?
But would this be more of a pain than it's worth? I could get a Sierra Designs Light Year for $100 shipped.
John, there was some recent discussion about using a bug "inner" with an overhead tarp, and the benefits are many. You can enjoy great views, have little to no condensation over double wall tents, and be able to enjoy substantial coverage to cook, or other duties outside the tent. You can also pack or unpack under the tarp without getting your gear wet. I think of this method being very close to most hammock setups, just not in the air. im sure youre only considering this setup for mild conditions?
btw.. a sil tarp @ 8 ounces will likely be around 6×8. not very useful, i'd think you'll need an 8×8 or 8×10 for even a solo tent. but, 8 ti hook stakes and 50' of spectra cord is ~3 ounces
i think the target goal here is to use a sil tarp with good coverage that can be brought out alone, if you already have this item than you understand its limitations. By adding a bug bivy, or a tiny "micro" tent body you will increase your options for use in different seasons. I think the idea you present is basically the above, but using a substantial tent body to avoid being confined to a tiny "micro" tent or bivy. ah heck – just go buy a warbonnet. :)
Hey – just thought I'd point out that there are lighter alternatives to the Nest – such as the MLD Serenity Shelter ($145).
To be fair, it IS a lot more expensive if you can get the Nest for $65.
But still, it's half the weight, and so you could still pair it with a tarp of some sort and be in the ball-park of what the Nest weighs alone…
Become a member to post in the forums.