Topic

Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

…hmm… Too bad this, and the last several podcasts, haven't been showing up in the iTunes feed. I would love to be able to load them to my Shuffle…

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

I've never found Alpacka wet exits to be anything other than "automatic." Maybe in my case it's the 200lb object steering the raft, but the velcro-secured spraydeck never fails to disengage itself before the raft is even beyond 90 degrees. I then fall out, generally alongside the raft, head upright and legs down. As the velcro wears, the odds of a problematic exit would seem to become even less likely, though I'd be interested to hear what experiences others have had, especially those with less dead weight in the boat!

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Jerry, try right-clicking on the Download link alongside the BPL media player, 'Save Link As.' Then in iTunes select File > Add File to Library, and copy or Sync the mp3 podcast to your iPod.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

I've only had one unintentional wet exit. I had to deliberately reach for and find the grab loop to open the spray deck. I didn't connect with the loop on the first pass. I've attached a whiffle golf ball to the loop to make it easier to find underwater.

What I'll have to try is to practice wet exit without using the grab loop to figure out how best to push off to get out of the deck.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

I usually keep the upper part of the spray deck, the torso portion, open, mostly because it's a little tight fitting to seal the velcro all the way up to the elastic & toggle closure, especially when wearing a foam PFD. (Really only a 43 chest / 35 waist here)

I wouldn't be surprised if a full closure would be less inclined to open of its own accord, especially for lighter folks.

The wiffle golf ball idea sounds like a good added safety feature.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools