Topic

REI sale score! $100 cuts 2 pounds from sleep system.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Last summer I used my 52 ounce TNF 15 degree down bag and 27 ounce Thermarest LE. Comfy but heavier than I want to carry.

I had been planning to sew a quilt or topbag for the Sierra Nevada's frosty nights. Going by Ron Bell of MLD's info it seemed that a Climashield XP quilt to keep me warm down to below freezing would require 7.5 ounce/yd insulation and weigh 26 ounces. Buying it from MLD would cost $230 or I would spend $100+ on materials to sew it myself.

I was also looking at a new pad- still self-inflating but lighter than the LE.

With those plans, REI's sale popped up and I scored. I bought the 15F rated REI Sub-Kilo women's long for $85. It weighs 31 ounces in the stuff sack. I also got a 18 ounce REI self-inflating 48"x20" for $16.

With 57" girth at the widest the bag is a bit snugger than ideal. I think it will work great as a quilt in mild weather and as a bag in colder weather. The pad is much thinner than my LE but was comfortable on my wood floors for a nap.

I think I scored quite well- $100 to cut almost two pounds from my sleep system. If money was no object I could have saved more weight of course. I certainly couldn't buy 17 ounces of 750 fill down for $85.

PostedJan 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I have had a Sub-Kilo ladies for around 3 years and it has held up a lot better than I thought it would!

Joe Kuster BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Both my wife and I have sub kilo's – womens and mens respectively. They are great bags and a great value but honestly her's is warmer and has a better fit so I often take it instead of the men's for pushing it's edge in the mountains.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Is the mens or womens a slimmer cut? I know the womens bags weren't long enough for me.

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Comparing the 2008 model men's 20 degree regular length and women's 15 degree long, both sized for up to 6'0":
Shoulder girth: 57"
Hip girth: Men's 53", Women's 54"
Weight: Men's 29 oz, Women's 32 oz (Mine weighs 31 in the stuff sack).
Fill- 750 down: Men's ? (I guess 15 oz), Women's 17 oz per tag.

Either mine got a light fill or they were conservative with the weight estimate. In any case I think it will be great for Sierra 3 season use.

Note they also have a Women's Short and Men's Long. I sort of wish I bought a couple more for the kids. Price on REI-Outlet is now back up to $170 vs. the original $250.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 1:47 am

James,

I don't mean to burst your bubble with the great gear deals, but an afternoon nap on a smooth surface is not the best way to test out a sleeping pad. I only say this because I made the same mistake of taking an afternoon nap on a hardwood floor with my Thermarest 3 and thinking things were just fine. But on the trail, the smallest bumps in the ground were felt, and I started to get sore in my hips and shoulders a few hours before sunrise. I didn't sleep well.

Don't get me wrong; many people enjoy these types of pads. Just make sure you try it out for a full night, possibly on a slightly uneven surface, before you decide to keep it.

I used the super clearance to stock up on some car camping luxuries, like a 2.5" self-inflating REI pad for $16 and a Hobitat 4 for $86 (reg. $260!). I've never seen sales like this at REI; I hope the company is doing okay!

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 7:37 am

John said: "I don't mean to burst your bubble with the great gear deals, but an afternoon nap on a smooth surface is not the best way to test out a sleeping pad"

Agreed, but it's better than a quick lie down over carpet! I've had several different models of Thermarest over the past 25 years. The 1" was definitely too thin for me, the 1-1/2" ok but not great, and the 2" LE is great- for my upper body. All of these pads have been 60" which is sort of too long and too short at the same time. I'm hoping that the 48" mummy shaped REI pad will work well when combined with a hip-to-foot piece of 3/8" blue foam.

At $16 each (I bought two) the worst case is the kids get new lighter pads for less the the price of a Ridge Rest. I will try them out on a short overnighter- or in the side yard which is cobblestones.

Of course this is all temporary. If I stop drinking Starbucks (starting tomorrow, not today), I could save enough money before summer for the 14 ounce Thermarest NeoAir.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 8:02 am

Need to give up on those self inflating pads, and get a good POE inflatable.

PostedJan 21, 2009 at 9:04 am

Sweet. I have tried the prorest 3 and I needed the 4. got a rei pad in short and reg. also got a kilo flash for $ 40.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...