I'm looking for a pot pretty much for solo cooking. I've decided .85-.9 liters is the size I want. Which would you recommend between the two?
Topic
Evernew Ti 900ml or MSR titan kettle?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
What stove are you using?
What are you cooking? in general…prepackaged meals? or do you "cook"?
I will be using either a white box stove or a snow peak gigapower stove. I will actually be cooking to, not just boiling water.
Thanks
If all you are doing is boiling water…..a HAA tea kettle will do the job quite nicely – for around $16. Of the couple brands out there, most hold 4 cups water.
But if cooking, ignore that ;-)
Get a wider/flatter pot over tall and narrow for best use on a WB stove. You will get a fast cook time as well as protecting your hands/pot handles from the flame.
Are the two pots i mentioned wide enough for use on a WB stove? Also for cooking is the snow peak better since you can simmer?
Yes (wide enough) and yes, but as Sarah mentioned wider is better.
I like my Titan kettle, but I'd prefer (and recommend) the Evernew. Weights are similar, but I think it's easier to eat out of wider/shallower pots and could improve heating efficiency. Also, the lid on the titan kettle is too tight for my tastes, really have to pry it off. I'd replace either lid w/a foil one. Given that the Evernew is a bit wider, you'd save some extra lid material, and the Evernew would end up lighter…
Most people who have it comment on the MSR Titan Kettle's tight lid. Some like it, others don't. Do take note though that the Kettle is, well, a kettle and the tight lid allows you to pour hot water out of it as you would a normal kettle which is to say without using your hands.
I use the Titan when I'm using a canister stove because the fuel fits inside it perfectly.
I use the Evernew with the caldera cone (i.e. when I want more fuel efficiency).
I've read that people have a real hard time fitting the msr pocket rocket + canister in their titan kettle like pictured on their website. So, which canister combo would fit in the evernew. A gigapower with snow peak canister or the pocket rocket and msr canister? I've decided to go with a canister stove instead of alochol to due to simmering and being able to light it real quick and start cooking.
A lot of pros and cons here. For a couple of years, I used the evernew. It is more efficient on the whitebox.
But I have gone back to the Titan Kettle that I bought 5 years ago. And here’s why:
1). The lid stays on tight. This means I don’t need a storage sack for it as ALL my kitchen gear stays put in it. Weight saved there. It is clean since I don’t use esbit or wood so the kettle won’t mess up my pack contents. It can take a beating. I don’t pour water out of it like a kettle because it drips everywhere.
2). One less piece to keep track of; The Evernew needs a pot gripper. The Titan Kettle already has the handle built in. Weight saved here.
3) Use the smaller and lighter pepsi stove (open jet style). This keeps the flame more on the smaller Titan pot to keep efficiency up.
4) The Titan is lighter than the evernew w/ its pot gripper.
The drawback with the Titan is it takes two hands to lift the lid off. But I’m willing to pay that price for #1 above. And that’s faster than fiddling with a pot gripper.
However, I will use the Evernew in the winter with the whitebox because it can hold more alcohol and thus getter longer burn times.
-Barry
Does the Evernew come in non-stick? That might affect my decision if I were going to actually cook in it.
Evernew has the broadest variety of backpacking pots available. In the 900ml size alone they make 7 different varieties….tall/short….non-stick/uncoated….frying pan lids/regular lids….handled/non-handled….and it just keeps going on
Check out the BPL Wiki or http://evernewpots.com
Rand
It comes in a normal and a non-stick. It is made by evernew and comes with nice handles. The lid is also quite tight. I have used it with the giga power and the pocket rocket. I would recommend the giga power over the rocket because the flame pattern on the rocket is very small and its heat discolored the bottom of the pot. The gigapower has a wider and in my opinion more stable base and flame. I like the ease of use with the evernew/rei. Also you can use it with a caldera cone which is in my opinion the best stove option going.
I'm going to go with a snowpeak gigapower. Will it and a canister fit in the evernew or msr titan kettle?
Titanium spoke bail handles work well on the Evernew pots but not so well with the Titan. With a little work you may get rid of the "heavy" pot handles, and impress your friends with your MYOG skills. I have both pots and prefer the Evernew sans non-stick.
Many of the 0.9L Evernews do come with handles, and weigh less than the MSR. Evernew does make nonstick, and in this size. Even Ti fry pans! Check out their products at evernewamerica.com
evernewamerica.com does not show all of the options available.
The BPL wiki (just poke the little button at the top of this page) has ALL of the titanium Evernew pot options in it. Click on Gear, Cooking, Titanium Pots…..and there you go.
Rand
I have a Titan Kettle and a Snowpeak Gigapower and can tell you that they fit inside the pot (including fuel canister) with room to spare. I line it with a semi-disposable kitchen towel to prevent scrathes to the inside of the pot. There's still plenty of room to stow a folding spork, condiments, and other small items like a lighter. The Titan is a great pot–the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages IMHO.

Impossible. Just not happening.
I've been trying to do this for 15 minutes now. It's B.S.
You sure you can get the Gigapower in there?
Dave, I don't know about the Gigapower, but I have the Litemax. I can fit a 110g snowpeak canister and the litemax inside a snowpeak m600 double-wall mug, then slide it all in my titan kettle and pretty well seal the lid…
Rand, thanks for pointing out the Wiki!
I haven't tried to put the Giga Power in the Titan but the Giga stove pot stands fold a lot tighter than the Pocket Rocket. It will probably work.
Well if the gigapower and snowpeak canister fit in the msr titan kettle I guess thats the como I'll be going with.
Become a member to post in the forums.

