Topic

Make a ThermoJet MicroLite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make a ThermoJet MicroLite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

This stove design looked really cool, I had never seen a simmer attached to the windscreen/ pot stand.
    but unfortunatly, I learned after reading reveiws that this stove is hard to get, so I made my own.

I used my old red bull top burner stove, but any top burner stove will work. (too bad 90%of my stoves I made are side burnres
    :-) )

My drill messed up on some of the holes, that is why they arent all perfect circles, but it still works, I just should have been more careful
    ***EDIT*** I smothed out the holes with a different drill bit, they now look normal (any holes in the pictures that look strange are now good looking:-)

I did change a few things, I made it compatible with my tent stakes instead of the extra weight of steel rods.

I made it to the dimensions on the thermojet site with some thin aluminum sheeting I found in my garage

Total weight: 2.00oz
    here is the stove rolled up
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

the stove inside of the rolled up windscreen/pot stand

from pictures it was a little un clear how the simmer attachments ends were connected

stove set up

my open country steel 2 quart pot fits perfectly

simmering

rolls up to the size of a candle lantern

fits good in my pot

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

well done, nice build.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have not yet tried simmering, and I am now out of methenol but the simmering feature looks awsome :-(

the only problem with my stove is that not all the large holes are perfect circles, because I used the wrong kind of drill bit :-(

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan,

I assume you still have all 10 fingers because your still posting on BPL and to insure this Stop Using Wood Drill Bits and PLEASE…. get yourself some high speed steel step drill bits when drilling the larger holes in your windscreen / pot stand. Not only are these bits Safer but you end up with a smoother diameter hole with little or no bur’s to cut you or your valuable equipment. They are a must have item for what your doing and they work great on most metals and plastics too, put it on your Christmas List you’ll be surprised at how much easier they are to work with and also the results.

Regards

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks Roger,

the wood drill bits did not work well except on a few of the holes, I actually think I have something similar to those bits, mabey I will use it to smooth out the holes.

thanks again

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I just smoothed out the holes, they are a little larger, but look a lot better

so any holes that look bad in the pictures now look normal :-)

thanks again Roger

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

with the seperate pot stand, I found that if you simply flip the stove burner upside down it works as a great little stand for and esbit tab to sit on, making the Thermojet Microlite a even more versatile system accepting both alcohol and esbit fuels

Sai

@saizai

Any chance you could provide a pic or drawing of it flattened w/ measurements, or instructions on how to make it?

What material did you use?

Also – couldn’t it be modified slightly to be adjustable-size? Just add a couple more matching holes for paperclipping. Wouldn’t be true-adjustable, but could set it at a few diameters for whatever pots you have.

One other mod: what if you made the ventilation holes evenly spaced with solid bits, and have an identically-drilled simmer sleeve? You could put it over the holes – maybe have nubs of some sort that keep it from sliding down – and rotate to control simmer instead of moving up/down. Finer / easier control.

For that matter, you could probably make a bunch of them at a time, by stacking the aluminum and drilling through several at once. I wonder if it’d make a difference to use titanium sheet (other than probably costing a lot more, and being hard to get).

Last point: does the burner type matter? Did you make yours or buy it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools