Topic

Feature Creep: why you should all be MYOGers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I have been thinking a lot about feature creep lately. I see a lot of gear offered for sale on the forum, most of it nearly new, and wonder how much of this is due to feature creep, and how it could be reduced.

I have always been a feature creeper, but usually a MYOG creeper. For instance, my new tarptent (refuge-X) had no pulls on the #3 zipper sliders, making it tricky to use the zips. So I add some small, almost weightless bits of cord. The tent had no interior pockets, so I added two small mesh pockets, hardly any wight gain. The thing didn't have a bathtub floor, so I added one. The tent had flimsy side tie-outs, so I beefed them up. Basically, I could have just flicked the tent on, but by making my own improvements, I now have a tent I really like. And that's just one example. I made a lot more changes to my Double Rainbow, and now it's a lovely tent.

I add pockets to jackets, lengthen drop tails, add or change zips, add or delete velcro, chop bits off, etc…so I end up with exactly what I want. What is it that makes the rest of you sell gear onwards, and could any of the product faults have been fixed? In my mind, no one will ever make gear as perfect as I want, so MYOG is essential to being content.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Allison:

I think a lot of us are simply schizo — going both directions!

Backpacks — I always cut off excess straps and loops — but will add hip belt pockets.

Tents — I hate droopy mesh material in tarptents — esp. the door side — and will take out the excess material. I also can't stand more than one pocket in my solo tents. OTOH, I have added closable/zippable windows to improve venting in my inner tent.

Weight gained or lost? Insignificant. But I still do it — it's a sickness, I tell you!

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I don't think it's a sickness to want to improve things. I don't just tinker with gear, but with anything I think could benefitf rom some changes.

Chris Morgan BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I just gotta say – three cheers for hipbelt pockets!

I don't know if its cheating or not, but I don't even count the weight in my HBP's anymore as part of my base weight, seeing that the weight is not on the back, but rather on the body.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I also add hipbelt pockest to every pack I've used. One for camera and the other for sunglasses. Some features are just too handy to do without, extra weight be darned!

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Allison, oh how I wish I could MMOG. I have tried on several occasions but always end up failing miserably. It takes a certain talent to sew that I clearly lack. Actually, it's probably more of the measure twice, cut once, principle that I usually fail at first.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Some people would rather sell their gear to buy improved gear rather than modify it because if it hasn't been modified, it's worth more money used. If you attempt to modify it and fail, then your gear is not only not improved, but worthless to resell. So some people are afraid to make modifications because they want to protect the value of their stuff.

I like to modify stuff myself. I don't have a sewing machine, though. So it's a hand needle and thread for me. This limits what I can do.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 4:39 pm

> don't have a sewing machine, though. So it's a hand needle and thread for me. This limits what I can do.

Yikes. I guess some people don't have, don't want, or don't know how to use a sewing machine. That would be a major hinderance to me getting the most out of my gear.

Yeah, sometimes a modification looks too risky, and the cost of failure too high. If you haven't been 'taught' how to sew, then you would really need to practice on cheap stuff first, just to learn what you can and can't do. Or take it to someone who is an ace at alterations.

Of course, Roger would just say "why not make it all yourself from scratch" ! I guess we all have different skills and different free time to work with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...