Topic

Fitted rain “cape” pattern sought.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fitted rain “cape” pattern sought.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

For hiking this spring and summer I want to outfit my family with lightweight raingear. I have two kids- 6 & * years old. We will be doing at least two weeklong trips in the Sierra.

After using a ULA rain skirt in a few brief showers last summer I'm sold on it for below-the-belt raingear. That leaves upper body and pack. I'm thinking that modified silnylon ponchos will do best there. SMD's Gatewood Cape is interesting but I don't need them to double as shelters. Also the kids will need much smaller versions.

The basic question is what shape should I start with, and what sort of cut? Flat could be rectangular like a plain poncho, diamond shaped with finger loops at the points, round? What about shaped- conic, etc.

Thanks in advance. My sewing machine is at the ready.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Here are links to a couple patterns to get you started…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_mntn_poncho.html

http://hikinghq.net/gear/poncho_tarp.html

My first thought is to make sure they can see their feet… kids seem to prone to trip over stuff anyway much less if they can't see where they are stepping.

The above two links will get you some patterns to play with and you will obviously have to resize as needed. Good Luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools