Topic

2L+ Snowmelting pot at least 6 in. high

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 11:31 am

I'm looking for a lightweight Ti snow melting pot large enough to nest our Trek 1400 Ti cookset, which measures stowed, including folded handles and full rim, 5-7/8 in. high by 5-3/4 in. diameter. Any suggestions? Will be used most of the time for 2 people (with a larger group we'd nest a Trek 900 inside the Trek 1400 and use have another 1-2 stoves).

I should also be asking – do you think we even need a separate snow melting pot on top of our Trek 1400 cookset which can hold, with lid on top, 1400 L of snow? If we could do without a separate snow melting pot, it would be great to save the weight.

If we could use a separate snowmelting pot, I know a lot of people who have used the MSR Titan 2L for snow melting, but it's not tall enough, with a 3.9" height by 6.75" diameter – although I guess could have the Trek 1400 stick out and just enclose all in a stuff sack, and use a foil lid packed against the outside bottom of the Titan 2L.

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 10:31 am

EJ,

A separate pot for snowmelting is handy even if you're just boiling water for food. That lets you stop mid-melt and heat a bit of water for soup.

That said, if you're trying to go lightweight you don't really need it. Maybe use your 1.4 liter pot for snowmelting and bring the .9 liter pot for drinks. Snowmelting is a game of feeding the beast. A fairly wide pot is nice but unless you carry a 2 gallon bucket you will still need to keep putting more snow in. Because the temperature is right at freezing until all the snow is melted, you don't lose much heat out the top with no lid. The important thing is to have a big pile of clean snow and a comfortable place to hang out while you're melting.

What stove are you using?

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 10:40 am

Thanks, that's the conclusion I came to.

I've got the Exponent Xtreme – it's an excellent winter stove. See reviews/comments on BPL. I actually discovered to my great surprise an unintended benefit of the design of the Trek 1400 pot and pan lid – since the pot is about 1 in. narrower in diameter and also deeper (especially with the pot lid's extra depth) than the MSR Titan 2L with flat lid, the 1400 is able to nest my Exponent Xtreme, even with the lindel valve canister adapter (which I don't need when I have Powermax cartridges available locally).

I could always bring another light alcohol stove, but I don't think the BTUs are really going to make much of a difference for most tasks. I'd have to experiment with it.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 11:19 am

Hey-
I'm not aware of any pot 6" high. Evernewamerica.com would probably be your closest bet. They have a number of larger Ti and aluminum pots–2L+ sized. I think you'd find that the wider diameter of the MSR 2L or one of the wider, larger volume Evernews would be easier to use for snowmelting–as well as more efficient. Cheers-

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 12:21 pm

While I am strongly in favour of wide pots, can I sound one word of caution? Do not use **VERY** wide pots on a small pressurised stove unless you can:
a) sit there and monitor the stove CONTINUOUSLY
b) keep the fuel bottle WELL out from under the pot.

I know of one case where the fuel bottle on a Whisperlite (I think) was too close to the very big pot (cooking for 6 people?) and got too hot. The bottle burst, spraying two people with burning white gas. Their recovery is taking years.

Pots up to 7" (180 mm) diameter are fine, no worries (mostly). Pots over 10" (250 mm) diameter are getting dangerous.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...