Topic

Xtreme stove in winter – regular Powermax cartridge sideways or upside-down canister with adapter?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 9:57 am

The Powermax cartridges are available at my local REI – in winter would you go with these (positioned sideways), or will an upside-down canister with the Xtreme adapter (which I have) perform better?

Rick Dreher BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 10:19 am

Hi EJ,

I'd go with the Powermax option. IIUC they have a fairly high propane fraction and of course, are the lightest option. They'll equal or perhaps better an inverted Lindal valve cartridge. Easier to pack, too.

Win-win.

Cheers,

Rick

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 10:58 am

Thanks, how many of the larger size Powermax cartridges would you budget for cooking for 2 + snow melting for 3 days? For cooking one would be more than enough, but for snow melting?

Dave . BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 12:11 pm

EJ, this sudden spate of Xtreme related questions makes me think that maybe it was you who outbid me for the Xtreme that sold on Ebay last night. Am I right?

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 12:18 pm

LOL I picked mine up off of eBay as well, but last year. It was a great deal, especially since I could barely find one at the time. Great cold weather stove.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Agree entirely with Rick. The Powermax canisters are really good.

And stock up on the Powermax canisters while you can – a case or two in the cupboard is a Good Thing.

My wife and I use slightly less than 30 g of gas per day for 3-season for the two of us, and up to 60 g per day when melting snow. For 3 days with all your water melted over the stove, that would come to 180 g, which is slightly more than a 150 g can but much less than a 300 g can.

Cheers

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I'm going to pick up a few cartridges but never like the idea of storing a lot of gas around a residential area (I know we're probably in far greater danger from a neighbor's massive butane barbecue tank than the Powermax cartridges). I really hope they a) don't stop making the Powermax cartridges and b) make lighter stoves to use with them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...