Topic

JMT, frameless or not

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I will be going on JMT this august and I am trying to figure out what the best pack for this trip will be. I will have a sub 10 baseweight and probably about 7 days worth of food at most. I have read some people are opposed to going frameless on JMT. Im undecided but I am currently leaning towards the MLD Exodus. Are there any similar bags that have frames or should I not worry about my current decision.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I wouldn't go frameless, but then again I started with a 43 pound total load.

Does that 10 pound baseweight include the bear can? Even if it does, packing those things is a pain in the ass. I was very glad that I had a framed pack so I could fit it in. I image they just wouldn't be comfortable in a framless pack, but I haven't tried. I would expect them to deform the pack and not transfer the weight to your hips properly.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I did 180 miles of it with a frameless pack (a Jam2).
I don't see why frameless or not matters- the issue is how much weight you're putting into a frameless pack and how well it carries for you.
A 10 pound base is really light (especially if it includes a bear canister); I wouldn't worry unless you're going hog-wild with food.

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 9:07 am

Frameless or not, a critical issue is bear can compatibility. Loaded with food you're talking a 10+ pound lump of lead. With the wrong pack/can combo you will be sad.

I was quite happy with a SMD Starlight carrying a base weight of 17 pounds including a Garcia bear can. I used the aluminum stays and a rather big Thermarest in the pad pocket. Pack weighs 31 ounces with the stays. The pack is huge though and I imagine it too big for a 10 pound base.

One modification I intend to make is some sort of hammock arrangement to hold the bear can in place. Otherwise it tended to overcompress my sleeping bag which was packed below.

I started out thinking I would pack the bear can crosswise and restricted my pack search to compatible models. Then for the trip I ended up carrying the can vertically which would have allowed more choices.

Scott Bentz BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 11:56 am

Typically, a framed pack will be able to handle more weight. You need to know how much you are carrying. The bear canister does add a twist. Do you put it inside, outside, top, bottom, etc. I think it's personal choice.

For me, I will be doing the JMT also in August. I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, which is a frameless pack. My base weight (pack, shelter, bear canister, kitchen, cooking, extra clothing, and essentials, etc.) is 10.2 lbs. At my heaviest, 7 days of food, fuel and 2 litres of water I am already up to 24.2 lbs!

As you can see, it adds up fast even when you are trying hard. Make sure you kno what your final pack weight will be and that should help. I have had more in my pack than that and even being frameless it fits just fine.

We need to find a way to recognize each other on the trail since so many of us will be out there.

Scott

Laurence Beck BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 6:20 pm

You guys should be able to recognize each other because you will be the only ones trotting down the trail with such light loads! Have fun!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...