Topic

White fabric tie-outs on my tarp

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:23 pm

This is a really silly question.

I have an Equinox tarp. It has no grommets. It has only white fabric ties. The ties appear to be made of cotton. They are sewn on not as loops, as I've seen in photos, but like ribbons you could tie in a bow.

How best to use these? How best to tie them to cord guy lines or trekking poles? Is is as simple as just tying an ordinary square knot and using the "loop" that this has created however needed? Or is there something more complicated you are supposed to do?

Also, do they last? They don't look very reinforced, and the cotton seems like a strange choice.

Any pictures of how you've attached them to things?

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Diane,

I have a small Equinox tarp i use as a ground sheet and i was also suprised to see the fabric ties as opposed to grommets.

I know exactly what you're looking at right now.

What i did (well what i'm in the process of doing) is add grommets to one of the two straps on each corner. I added the grommet to the tie that points outward and cut off the one that is pointing inward. I added the grommet about 3-4" inches from the edge of the tarp and left about 1" fabric on the other side of the grommet.

It was relatively simple and all i had to do was get a grommet kit at Home Depot. It was about $7. The ties are nylon so they can actually be burned so they don't fray. I also found this useful b/c i would cut a small plus symbol (two perpendicular cuts) in the tie and then put the grommet through that and tap it together.

I experimented with burning a pea sized hole in the cut i made but it worked best with just a little snip, leaving more material for the grommmet to grab onto and hold tight.

I will say that you should practice first with any extra fabric. I used the other tie that i cut off of each corner to test out punching holes etc.

I'm still in the process of finishing it up, just haven't had the free time.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

– Dana

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 8:33 am

Diane,

Did you ever decide what to do with the ties? Just curious if my idea inspired you or helped you in any way :)

– Da

PostedJan 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Diane, I have the same Equinox tarp with the white tie outs. I have just tied those ends with a knot which creates a loop. Depending how I set the tarp up I run a small cord through all 3 of the middle loops and out to hiking poles on the ends and then tied off to the ground. This setup works if you have other poles or sticks to sopen up the front end. I have slept 3 in heavy rain at 12,000 in Colorado set up like this and no problem. Good luck…

PostedJan 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I did not see that there were answers to my question. Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll just tie knots to make loops. Seems easiest. I do not have a sewing machine.

I'm curious if you use a line that goes the full length, as a ridgeline, or if you just tie two lines to each end? I'm wondering how much line to purchase. It seems to set up fine without a ridgeline, but that's in my back yard.

I'm taking it on a maiden voyage in two weeks. My BF will be sharing it with me. I have to set this thing up right or he'll complain the whole trip. I'm the one in the family who can rough it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...