Topic

Who knew about this?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Dana,

Ron at MLD was selling these packs through sometime in the early part of 2008 and for at least a couple of years before that I think. This was a Cuben Fiber pack aimed at SUL loads and shorter trips. Not quite sure why it was discontinued but Ron seems to have been moving to his product line towards somewhat sturdier materials and a few more features over the last year.

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm new to SUL and I think that would have been a sweet pack. I didn't know about these companies until this past spring and I couldn't find anything else about it (though i didn't search the forums – but i SWEAR i usually do first). I was excited and thought i was on to something. lol.

– Dana

Who's got one that they want to get rid of? HEHE.

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm

doesn't look like cuben fiber to me, but spinnaker I'd say.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 7:45 pm

That pack in the picture is spinnaker. The original Revelation, reviewed on this site, was made of Cuben. IIRC, it was the first pack made from Cuben.

Adam

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Well thanks for the help guys.

I learned something new today :)

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Dana, if you are in the market for an SUL pack, check out http://www.zpacks.com (if you haven't already) for packs with similar weight/features. I have a blast 26 on order and was extremely impressed with the low weight considering the features it has.
Enjoy!

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 9:59 pm

What's up with the MLD names: Revelation, Ark, Prophet, etc. Hrm…I sense a theme.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 6:12 am

I have, and use, the Spinntex version of the Revelation whenever I'm out for up to four days during 3 season hikes… and love it. Just before the new range of MLD packs came out the Revelation was dropped. When I asked about it at the time Ron said that he was testing a new design based upon a combination of the Revelation and the very lightweight Prophet of that era. It never reappeared, but I'll bet that Ron would make one if he still has the shoulder strap material.

Revalation full loaded at beginning of hikeRevelation

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 6:19 am

I would imagine the spinnaker fabric wasn't holding up since all spinnaker packs quietly were dumped. I don't see why the whisper and these others are not made in silnylon 1.1. I think the whisper would sell very well made of that with a slightly lower price than those made in spinnaker.

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 1:07 am

I bought one from a BPL member a while ago. I've used it a couple of times now. It's definitely more robust that what it looks like.

The one I have doesn't really look much like the one above though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...