Topic

Rock Sack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:07 pm

So after searching for about half an hour about rock sacks for the PCT method for example, i could only find a couple mentioned. What do you use? Some ideas are:

1. Nothing. Relying on knots and luck to secure the rock to your hang line.

2. Mesh fruit bags from the grocery.

3. Small SilNylon stuff sacks

I've been using an oversized sylnilyon sack and would prefer a more rock friendly sized one. Right now i'm actually using the stuff sack my Torsolite pad came in to house my carabiner and rope for the PCT Method. It's too big and I'm looking for something smaller.

Anyone have any other ideas?

*Edit: I'm referring to the bear bag method of hanging your food which is called the PCT method. Just to make it clear to anyone that didn't understand.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I use the PCT method too.
I've sewn/use a small silnylon stuff sack, like 3"x3" with a drawcord and micro cordlock.
If you can't make or get your hands on a small one I think I have an extra I made, I'll send it to you free.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I rely on a good tight square lash around a baseball sized rock. With some patience and some skill, you can omit the rocksack.

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:37 pm

These are all great ideas.

I'm new to myog and i'm short on mechanical tools so anything i could purchase or make easily, i.e. w/o a sewing machine would be much appreciated.

Not sure i can try w/o the rock sack yet. I'm tired by the end of the day and just want to relax and not fuss with it. Plus it doubles as a stuff sack for the rope too.

But like everyone here, i'm sure it'll be an evolution and i can see eventually not using one.

For now, the search continues! :)

– Dana

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Don't overlook Craig's recommendation of 3"x3" (minimum). Trying to find a weighty rock to fit in a small bag is a PITA.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I've had some success with using my homemade trowel as a weight. It only weighs 1 oz, but I've had no real trouble geting it up to a tree branch about 20-25 ft. up. Sometimes you have to coax it back down by jiggling the slack end of the line.
Food Sack
trowel weight

This mat not be the most ideal, but it gets the job done. So, maybe you have a sturdy piece of gear that could stand to be launched into a tree, then disconnected and used elsewhere.

Edit* I just use a small zip top to stuff the line.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I'm glad to see your so open-minded, Dana. Yes, your Ultralight philosophy will always be evolving and adapting. One day. you may not care about that extra 0.05 oz., then the next day, you'll be shaving 3oz. just you thought you were as light as possible.

Godspeed and go light,

-Evan

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I use my tent stake bag. It's about 3×7 when laid flat. I used to tie a stick with a clove hitch but it is harder to aim and takes more tries to get it over that dam limb.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 8:46 am

I use a smallest Granite Gear air pocket stuff sack to hold my rock. When not being used to hold a rock I store my 50 feet of cord and small biner inside the sack. To keep things nice and neat one end of the cord is always tied to one of the two loops on the stuff sack. I then layer the cord into the sack and zip it shut. When I have my food hung I store the extra cord inside the attached stuff sack.

gg stuff sacks

http://www.granitegear.com/products/packingsystems/airline/airpockets.html

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I use a small oblong stuff sack that holds the cord. It's large enough that if I can't find a rock I can stick a couple of energy bars in it for weight. For some reason I've often found it hard to find conveniently sized rocks where I want to bear bag, so this works out quite well.

PostedJan 20, 2009 at 5:44 am

Take a scrap of silnyl and sew a 3×3 sack. If you're feeling really sparky you can add a draw-string top. I'll try to post photos later today. Very handy and almost no weight penalty.

I really liked the idea of using the stake bag posted earlier. I think I'll eliminate my stake bag and use my rock bag to protect the tips of my stakes from poking / abrading holes in my gear. One more item eliminated from my gear list – THANKS!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Loading...