Topic

fleece windproof gloves?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I have been looking for some windproof gloves that are fleece. I have some Seirius gloves that are okay but take forever to dry and I am hoping that a fleece pair will dry much quicker. Thanks

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm

It is the windblock membrane that makes your gloves take so long to dry.

You're better off with a pair of thin fleece or wool liner-style gloves and a separate pair of uncoated nylon shells (windproof), or if you want waterproof as well, eVent or coated nylon shells.

You get the greatest flexibility that way. The nylon or eVent over-mitts are mosquito-proof. You can wear them alone when you don't want or need the added warmth of the liners.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 7:41 pm

These gloves are made from Wind Pro fleece which is pretty much a wind resistant Power Stretch. They are absolutely amazing and dry really quickly. They are not completely windproof but I have found them sufficient.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 6:43 am

I've had windstopper fleece gloves and they took forever to dry. After getting them completely waterlogged, they took multiple days to dry. The problem was both the inside and outside fleece were soaked. The windproof barrier just slowed down water transport, so as the outside dried, more water from the inside seeped out, rewetting the outside.

WindPro cuts a lot of the wind and dries quickly. The Rab Phantom Grip gloves were recommended in the article about gear for cool, wet weather. They aren't easy to come by in the US, but there are alternatives. Outdoor Research hsa the Omni Glove. REI has the "All Season Glove" which they're clearancing now. I went with the REI ones, but the sizing was off. I wear men's small, but in these women's small fit well.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 11:07 am

I don’t know how easy they are to get in the US, but Buffalo mitts might be just what you’re looking for. Warm pile with a windproof Pertex outer. They dry quickly, and are warm when wet.

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 11:44 am

I use the same setup as Robert, with the thinnest, lightest Manzella windproof gloves (forget name, bought at Campmor). Because the Manzellas are so light they don't take anywhere near as long to dry as windstopper fleece. I've been using this setup for several years, though I'd probably pick up a similar eVent outer when I get around to it.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I’ve experimented with several gloves and my new favorite is a Mountain Hardware glove. It is a good compromise glove. It is very lightweight (almost as lightweight as a thin polypro glove) while being fairly rain and wind resistant. I don’t have the actual weight on hand (I think they are around 1.5 ounces a pair). For summer use, I also carry event mitts. For winter use, I add another mitt (thick double wool) along with an REI GoreTex shell. I wouldn’t mind replacing my mitts with those Buffalo mitts (which look warmer for the weight). It’s nice to see mittens (as well as gloves) without leather (which adds weight but not much warmth).

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I agree with Bob.
Light liner gloves, plus fleece mitts, plus GORETEX shells.

Cheers

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Rab Phantom Grip and GoreTex over mitts. If it's really cold, add a pair of fleece mitts. Prolite Gear carrys the Rab line of gloves, including the Phantom Grip.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Well I do have a pair of expedition weight liners from Patagonia let over and some OR PL-300 mitts that should do. Are there some nice fleece liners out there with some grip on the palms for wear? The Rab Phantom Grip does look nice but they don't have my size at prolitegear.com

I am also having a bit of trouble finding any mitt shells beyond MLD's eVent one and a pair of nylon ones. Can anyone point me to some?

Ethan A. BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 5:44 pm

BTW, I think Chris Townsend recommends Wind Pro fleece gloves as a good compromise for cold and wet – check his recent excellent article.

I'd like to pick up light eVent overmits or gloves flexible enough to use in different situations over several types of light-heavier gloves.

PostedJan 19, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Brett,
Check out Outdoor Research. They carry several WPB mitt shells. I have a pair that weighs ~4 oz, called the Endeavor. They are made of Pac Lite and seam taped. I use them in the winter and they work just great over any liner glove/mitt. They are a bit pricey at $69, but worth it IMO.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 8:22 pm

$69 is a bit much for overmitts. I will just use bread bags then for when I need to.

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Ceder Tree (the Packa people) have sil nylon mitts for $25, and don't forget ULA's Mist overmitt for $20.

Roleigh Martin BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 11:14 pm

An inexpensive alternative to the MLD eVent mittens are these from ULA:

http://ula-equipment.com/mist.htm
Ultralight Breathable Waterproof Mittens
1.2 oz (MD)

$20 (in-stock and ready to ship!)

The Mist Overmitt is a basic, no frills mitten suitable for protection in wet conditions. Elasticized wrist, flared cuffs, and a handy mitten hook round out this simple and effective product.

Constructed from an unlined, non-laminate, waterproof- breathable material.

Patrick Young BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 10:08 am

I use the Arcteryx Delta SV glove made with Polartec Windpro Hardface. They dry pretty quickly and have wind resistance. The shell mitt is OR Endeavor Paclite Mitts, Not UL but work well and are durable.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 10:14 am

The ULA is pretty much the same material as my DriDucks and I know that will not stand up to any wear but thanks.

The Paka stuff looks okay but for that price I can probably buy the silnylon and have someone make them.

Maybe the OR Snowline would be better and cheaper than the Endeavor.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedJan 21, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I own a pair of REI overmitts, which I use in the winter. They are similar to the OR ones (big, tough, have nice straps that allow you to cinch it down and extend a bit beyond the wrist). They are a bit cheaper than the OR ones (they may not be quite as waterproof, but I've had mine for years and really like them). Mine look a bit different than these: http://www.rei.com/product/725077, but these may be the new model. They are a bit heavy for the summer, though. I use the MLD ones for the summer.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Loading...