So far my decision is narrowed down to the Northern Lites Backcountry showshoe. What does everyone have or recommend.
Topic
Snowshoe Recommendation!
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
The NL Backcountry’s are excellent if you want good flotation, light weight, and if the 9″ width fits your stride. For deep, dry snow on flat terrain I was very impressed with them. But for the wet/crusty snow I usually see, I prefer the MSR Lightning Ascents: less flotation, heavier, but better traction, and only 8″ wide which personally I find more comfortable. They come in 22″, 25″ and 30″ lengths. I’d recommend either one depending on your needs.
My second choice was the MSR accents. Now, what to do.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out right now.
I use 25" MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes and I'm very pleased. Great traction, great binding, fairly light and durable. I would buy these again.
I like the lightenings also. I use the womens 25" though since they are narrower and still fit my big feet.
I have changed my mind to go with the MSR lightnings. I have not found one comment anywhere that would favor the Northern Lites over the MSR Lightings. Thanks for the comments.
You will not regret this selection, IMO. Enjoy.
3 lbs. 8 oz. (7.25 x 25 in.) MSR Lightning Ascent, womens
2 lbs. 4 oz. (8 X 25 in.) Northern Lites Elite
More than a pound less speaks for itself. At the expense of a less aggressive crampon.
I think the first comment left was very helpful. It's important to think about the terrain and type of snow you'll be on, as well as the type of activity.
I have used and like the MSR lightning ascents – but do I take them out on my local weekend hikes in gentle terrain? Nope. I prefer something lighter – makes the trip more fun.
So if you are on more rugged terrain, with ice and steep ascents and descents – the MSR's would be good. If you're just going out in fresh snow for a day hike in the woods, you'd probably be fine with something else.
EMS and REI both rent snowshoes (costs 15 bucks a day at EMS, sometimes you can get a better deal if you happen to luck out and chat up a nice manager). I'd recommend trying a few pairs before buying :) and they do have the MSR's available for rent – at least here in MA they do.
It really comes to the terrain you snowshoe in. And as well, the type of snow.
Out here when I am in the Cascades or the Olympics I will use nothing but MSR Denali Evo's with 8" tails. They bite the snow/ice well, side hilling and traversing isn't an issue. When it is fresh virgin snow at Rainier it isn't uncommon for the trail breaker to be to their crotch in areas – walking above 18 ft or more of snow.
Yet, I am sure some would find those way too heavy. But for the safety I am willing to use them. Since going to them I have not had the issues I had with other snowshoes.
But if I lived in an area where the snow was maybe a couple feet deep and f-l-a-t, well, no, then they are overkill.
For me though, weight is the LAST thing I consider. The first two things are the crampons and durability.
Hi John,
I've used the Northern Lites Backcountry Recons but have only used them in the Northeast so far and they were EXCELLENT. I had researched them thoroughly before buying and compared them against the Lightenings. Used them snowshoeing Mt Mansfield, VT last year after a big fresh 2 1/2 ft powder dump on top of existing snow, and over crusted icy snow – no issues with traction and floatation was much better than that of other snowshoers we passed. The bindings were very comfortable, snug and easy to work with. Since I haven't used the Lightenings myself, I recommend you look up Doug's (BPL staff) comments on the Northern Lites and video of him cornice jumping with them. Doug's playground is the Pacific Northwest. This was Doug's comments on the Northern Lites to me:
"Northern Lites are brilliant snowshoes and I feel the bindings are extremely easy. Some of the "modern" (read- heavy) bindings are faster, but I'm an extreme snowshoe user and these things don't fall off- even when doing big cornice jumps. You'll love these shoes- everything else sucks in comparision. Not that I'm opinionated on the matter! Get them and you'll never regret it."
From what I've read and heard about the Lightenings, I don't think you'll go wrong with either model. Only a side by side comparison in your terrain will tell you what feels and works best for you.
If I expected to encounter a lot of very steep, icy terrain, I'd go with the MSRs. Otherwise, I'd choose the Northern Lites. It's impossible to overstate the difference a lighter snowshoe makes on your overall enjoyment of a trip. You'll go faster and be able to cover a lot more ground with less energy. I own several pairs of snowshoes but almost always choose the Northern Lites because of the weight. Plus, you can glissade with the Northern Lites, something you won't be able to do with the Lightning Ascents.
I'm the original poster! I have heard both sides. I can not limit myself to one area. I live in Michigan, hiking the AT is my thing at this point. I'm going to do the North Eastern US snowshoeing as well as my brother lives in Calgary, Alberta and we are planning a week trip out there. Problem: I really don't know what I will encounter.
That's what makes my selection difficult. It's just like when I went to UL hiking. The first time around I bought the wrong stuff. I suppose it is a learning process. I don't know.
John
Just FYI, I recently received a pair of Northern Lite Elites which weigh 42.4 ounces, 18% over spec. The response from Northern Lites is that they ran out of lightweight tubing. Hmmm. Kinda like ordering a titanium pot, getting an aluminum one and being told they ran out of titanium. Still a lot lighter than the MSR's, and I like that they nest flat.
You should have them exchange them and pay for return shipping and reshipping a new pair. That's unacceptable.
Russ Post at Northern Lites has been quite helpful and has promised to make it right, I am satistifed. But for now they don't have the "elite" tubing so if you're considering purchasing the elites you may want to verify first what you're really getting.
Thanks for the comments. It's a tough decision.
Become a member to post in the forums.

