Topic

Fiery Gizzard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Fiery Gizzard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

I just did a dayhike of the Fiery Gizzard and Dog Hole Trails (great names huh?) in the South Cumberland Recreational Area of Tennessee and thought I'd share some pictures of this beautiful area. It was quite cold, between 10 and 25 all day maybe and there were no other people (although in the summer much of the nice gorge near the trailhead becomes redneck beercan wonderland). There are dozens of waterfalls in this area and many good bluff views.

Looks like this might have been a little whiskey operation way out on the edge of the plateau by a little crik. So did the revenuers find it and bust up this barrel with an axe?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Great pictures nice ice sickles
    Looks just a little interior cold

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Great photos John. I've never been there in the dead of winter. Looks like the waters up since the last time I was there, when much of the stream bed was dry about a mile down from Black Canyon, which I think is in the second picture. A fantastic trail!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your photos.

I love the shot with the rows and rows of icicles.

How did they form?

Is that a series of steps/terraces of a waterfall?

-Tony

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

Thanks guys, the pictures really don't do this place justice and it was such a perfect day with tiny ice particles floating in the crystaline air, twinkling like diamonds. We've had quite a bit of rain lately hence the steady creek flows, we had been in drought. Tony the icicles are on a cliff, the rock here is limestone and water oozes out between the layers of rock all the way up the cliff to make this formation.

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

I think this was Fall '07, though I can't say for certain

Fiery Gizzard 1

Fiery Gizzard 2

Judi Henson

@ritzhenson

Locale: The Deep South

500 Year Old Hemloch

This is my son and a friend last year here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools