Topic

Tiny first aid kit

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
J B BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 11:53 am

I got some new headphones from AKG that came in a tiny pouch.

I wondered if I could turn that into something useful. Here's what I put inside:

4 plasters, a small knife, 2 m of paracord, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, a Lummi Raw Al flashlight with spare battery and a ziploc bag, wrapped in adhesive tape.

It's all very lightweight, too, at 103 g.

What do you think? Am I missing something?

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 12:12 pm

The case looks cool but how much does it weigh alone? Could you get away with a ziplock bag? The tiny weight savings might not be as important to you as having a more durable carrying case but it would to me!

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm

A ziploc bag is lighter, I know that :-) Its not as handy though.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 12:18 pm

As above, cool looking, but I think I would use a tiny ziploc type pouch instead. The latter is lighter and also highly rain/water resistant.

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I think that for the weight you’re not getting a whole lot of first aid. At 119 grams (4.2 ounces) I carry all of the following in a Ziploc bag:

(16) ibuprofen (2 day max dose)
(8) anti diarrhea (2 day max dose)
(12) wound closure strips
(4) band aids
(4) knuckle band aids
(2) tubes of anti bacterial gel
(2) 4” x 4” gauze pads
(2) 4” x 4” moleskin
¼ roll of athletic tape
Folding scissors

Now as an emergency survival type kit it's ok.

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I think you're cheating a bit — that's 20 % more weight ;-)

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm

15.53% :P

I'm in the process of making an emergency kit and really like the input just from this thread. I know there are several out there, but as a quick answer would the kit Chad has developed be more than sufficient?

Seems like a good kit. It's conservative and seemingly compact.


@Dave

Do you need two separate kits or can you make one for both?

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I was hoping to get some of both into one. You see where I am walking, there's always someone not too far away.

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Seems like a good kit. It's conservative and seemingly compact.

Thanks. I thought that maybe we could go on with this — 100 g of stuff and it must fit inside a tiny pocket.

I'm interested in what you come up with.

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I think you're cheating a bit — that's 20 % more weight ;-)

Actually it's only 14% more weight, and you have twice the treatment options! :)

The weight is accurate though. For the heavies item, the athletic tape; I remove the cardboard core in addition to 75% of the tape itself. The pills I carry in a single old film canister. Everything else I just place in the Ziploc bag.

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Pills can go into a small 2×3 ziplock for less weight, better packing, and transparency. They are sold here, are out of stock, but should be available "real soon now".

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Johann, looks like you are off to a good start. I'm curious about the adhesive around a ziplock. You might consider ducktape it works better on deep cuts It can be wrapped around your lite or you can write for free samples and they will send you a few feet folded in a tiny square.

I nearly cut my finger off last summer with a tommohawk and all I had was ducktape. Three days later I had a doctor look at it and he was supprised at how good it looked.

A condom will word for an emergecy water container just make sure it is not lubricated.

Some type of fire starter and tinder would top my list.
Ali

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Here's what's in mine:

(which hapens to go in a ziploc baggie)

In pill bottle:
1.2 Knuckle Bandages
2.4 Butterfly Bandages
3.1/3 oz. Triple anti-biotic ointment
4.8-200 mg. Ibuprofen in mini ziploc
5.6-500 mg. Tylenol in mini ziploc
6.1 needle (for popping blisters and removing splinters)
7.3ft. Duct Tape (wrapped around pill bottle)
8.2 Benadyrl Tablets
9.1 in.by 1 in. bar of Ivory in mini ziploc

Wrapped around Bic Lighter:
3ft. Gauze Tape

The whole thing weighs 3 ounces.

This is enough for most minor injuries, and I've got enough stuff in my pack to improvise for the bigger things.

Just remember everyone: no amount of First Aid and Emergency Gear can replace the knowledge it actually takes to use these items effectively and properly in the field!

Mary D BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 10:11 am

The little tiny ziplock plastic bags can be bought at any craft store, in a number of sizes. They're usually somewhere near the beads section, since that's what the crafty folk use them for. For each medcation, I insert a typed slip showing the name of the medication, the dosage and the expiration date.

While researching first aid supplies for my dog, I discovered veterinary wrap. It is a self-adhering wrap made of foam used for keeping bandages on the legs of dogs and other animals. With a few stiffening strips of duct tape on the outside, it will work fine as a sprained ankle bandage on a human (I tried it out). And it's far lighter than elastic bandage. It's available at any farm store. So here's another multi-purpose item–if you have a dog!

Re doggy first-aid: Aspirin (preferably the coated kind) is the painkiller of choice. Ask your veterinarian for the dosage for your dog. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen are both toxic for dogs. All other first-aid items work for both dogs and humans, including Benadryl (useful should your dog snap at a bee or wasp instead of a fly) and Immodium. Again, ask your vet about the dosage. All this information came from my-daughter-the-veterinarian.

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 10:53 am

Just out of curiosity, how on earth do you administer Tylenol to a dog without him chewing it to smitherines?

Mary D BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 3:25 pm

You don't give your dog Tylenol unless you want to kill him–it is quite toxic to dogs, says my-daughter-the-veterinarian.

There are two methods of giving a dog pills. One is to have a little cheese (knead it first to soften it) or canned dog food or peanut butter to mold around the pill. That's the easy way–he'll gulp it right down! The other is to hold the dog's mouth open with one hand (there's a gap between front and rear teeth where you can put your fingers without being bitten) and poke the pill down his throat with the other. You need to do this really fast because, of course, the dog doesn't particularly appreciate this treatment. And you need to put the pill really far back, or he will spit it out. It's a good idea to have a treat handy for the dog immediately after this procedure, so he doesn't have such unpleasant memories that he runs and hides the next time you get the pill bottle out.

I've used both methods but prefer the former. My daughter uses the latter because it's faster. You should see her doing this with a horse!

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 3:33 pm

>and poke the pill down his throat with the other. You need to do this really fast because, of course, the dog doesn't particularly appreciate this treatment. And you need to put the pill really far back, or he will spit it out.

It helps if you hold the dog's mouth closed and cover its nostrils too. This will force the dog to swallow if it wants to breathe. I also second the choice of pet tape. Its stretchy and self-adhesive and extremely handy, but I also carry a good repair tape (gorilla tape).

Dana S BPL Member
PostedJan 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm

"I think you're cheating a bit — that's 20 % more weight ;-)

Actually it's only 14% more weight, and you have twice the treatment options! :)"

Correction. It is 15.53% like i said.

Take 119g-103g and that is 16g and then you compare it to the original 103g not the 119g. So you have 16/103 which is 15.53% of 103g.

tomeytoe tomahtoe :P just splitting hairs

I really like this thread and i think it's been a great help in shaping my kit even further. I don't have a set kit so this will really help me hone in on the details. Thanks for all the posts!

J B BPL Member
PostedJan 20, 2009 at 1:19 am

Actually it's only 14% more weight, and you have twice the treatment options! :)"

Correction. It is 15.53% like i said.

I know, I know.

I did something in the mean time. I removed the knife and the Lummi Raw. I carry a small knife most of the time anyway. As for the lighting, I have a Photon Micro II on the way.

So I am still working on it. :-)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Loading...