Topic

Which Tarp Tent ???

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 7:08 am

I need a compact, lightweight, sturdy, tent that will keep water out, with space for two.

I will be carrying everything on my Electra Townie, and mostly camping by myself, although I'm hoping that one of my boys will tag along sometime.

— vja4Him * Riding 4 Life

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 7:39 am

The ones that spring to mind this morning are the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo and the Tarp Tent Double Rainbow. I think Henry's Tarp tent contrail would work for you and your son, too, depending on your sizes. I've shared mine before.
I have the lunar duo, too and it is wonderful!

te – wa BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 8:08 am

you used the words Sturdy, and Tent. SO, im not shy about mentioning the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 (sl)
it is more than a solo tent, but 2 would be tight. Since you are related, im sure you could swing it once in a while. Double wall, fairly sturdy and light enough. If you want single wall, sturdy and light I can mention the Big Sky Evolution lineup or something like Black Diamond (bibler) Litehouse.

SMD Lunar Duo is a wonderful, roomy tent but it is not freestanding, so you may pursue other options. I almost like the Double Rainbow but cant get past the 15' pole sleeve and the claim that its freestanding (not with normal length hiking poles it isnt…) But you may like the thing. Again, "sturdy" is a very hard term to describe and many people will differ on definition.

te – wa BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 9:09 am

oh yes! the carbon poles are crap. if you do get a tent from Big Sky carry the extra 3oz for aluminum. Im sure your bike can handle it…

I also suggest you browse the web for detailed reviews on all light tents. There are widely different opinions but for the most part, a consensus can be reached if you are open to facts, and not to 'consumer loyalty'.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm

My wife and I are quite happy with the Squall 2. It is a solid, very light tarp tent that ventilates well. I imagine that is true of all the Shires and Six Moons tarp tents. I prefer the Squall 2 because it has the most head room at one end (where you would normally put your head). Others prefer side entry with all the advantages it offers.

PostedJan 16, 2009 at 5:09 pm

By sturdy I mean strong, durable, able to withstand wind, lots of use, not easily torn, strong poles, etc. …

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Given what you wrote, I believe a pretty darn light but robust traditional tent will suit you better than an ultra light weight tarptent using ultra thin fabrics and the lightest weight poles…

If you don't mind being a bit cozy when sharing — I heartily second Michael Strivers' choice up above — the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL. This tent is OK enough for two but the real beauty is that for the more times you camp solo — this tent is still pretty darn light — and a very comfy palace for one. It is structurally robust — more than strong enough for most all three-season camping use.

If you crave more space — and prefer the convenience of dual doors and dual vestibules — then take a look at the REI Half Dome — a perennial favorite!

PostedJan 18, 2009 at 8:41 am

Thanks for your suggestion Benjamin! I checked out the REI Half Dome, which looks like a good choice. I put that on my list. I will continue to check out other options …

I don't mind a little extra weight, since I'm carry almost everyting on my Townie. I will carry a small backpack, so I can go hiking. And when I get my Bob Ibex, I can carry lots more for extended trips, and when one of my boys tags along ….

I still need to find a good, heavy-duty front rack that will allow me to carry front panniers and also attach stuff to the top of the rack.

I also need a larger handlebar bag ….

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 8:49 pm

An option I would recommend as a happy owner is the Eureka Spitfire 2 tent. With pegs and a groundcloth it is 5#. 38 feet of space is quite a bit for 2 plus gear, and is palatial for 1 plus gear. For about $130 at Ebay stores, it is about 100-150 less than the big agnes tent, and less weight and cost than the REI tent. It is not freestanding, but that is normally not an issue as long as you can put pegs into the ground. I use a combination of MSR groundhog pegs and titanium pegs to keep the weight to a minimum. It has withstood hailstorms and rain, and kept me warm and dry and the two doors keeps my wife and me happy at night during water breaks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...