Topic

lantern choice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lantern choice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James Waechter
    BPL Member

@weegie5

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For Christmas I received a Coleman Exponent F1 Lite lantern which I weighed at 4.4 oz (3.2 oz claimed by mfgr). Tonight on Steep&Cheap I saw the Primus Micron lantern w/piezo ignition (claimed 4.4 oz) for the same price as the F1- $35. I was torn between these two lanterns before Christmas because of the piezo ignition and seeing this tonight opened the discussion for me again.

I have the Primus Micron Ti stove with piezo ignition because I'd like to not have to carry a non-emergency book of matches. To me, a built-in igniter makes for a simpler stove.

The lantern is a "luxury" item for those trips when I can talk my wife into joining me, so it will be used sparingly.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't know which is best, but the Primus was on SAC twice today. I think SAC is toying with me. I almost got it for a BSA trip this summer. And it seems to me like those piezo lighters add a lot of weight.

James Waechter
    BPL Member

@weegie5

You mean I missed it twice today?!?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

You might want to check out this solar-powered LED cap that turns your nalgene into a lantern.

Unknown abc

@edude

I dunno if you really need the piezo ignition. I've never minded lighting stoves and lanterns the old-fashioned way.
    Maybe the piezo would be more reliable(and not to mention cooler!), but like Joe said, they seem to add extraneous weight and cost more.
    And don't forget what a hassle it is to carry the extra fuel for it!

-Evan

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

My choice, when I want to carry a lantern, is the Snow Peak Gigapower Lantern without piezo ignition. With the glass globe, mine weighs 4.1 ounce (0.1 ounce more than the 4.0 ounce claimed by the manufacturer).

Perhaps switching the Snow Peak's glass globe out for the optional mesh globe would net an even lower lantern weight.

The piezo seems like something else to breakdown, and the mini-bic lighter that I carry anyway for quick flames to start a fire or light the stove (or light my pipe) serves as a "piezo" ignition for the lantern. Thus the bic, with its weight of less than .5 ounce even when full, serves as a multi-tasking tool.

As for reliability, have never had a bic fail to produce a flame so long as it has fuel. It may even be that, once its fuel supply is gone, the bic can still generate enough spark to light an alcohol stove or ignite tinder to start a fire, either of which can then provide the flame needed to light the lantern — and the pipe.

JRS

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I've had a LOT of peizo igniters fail on me in the field.

However, if you want to add one to a device, simply buy one of those extended lighters designed for candles or bbq grills that have the long nozzle and trigger to pull to light it. Break it apart, get the piezo igniter which weights very little, add some wire to get the spark where you need it and use it as a sparker. Overall though, a bic or match is FAR more reliable.

I don't know if it matters in your case but matches are far more reliable than piezo ignition or lighters at altitude. (It matters up where I hike).

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Have you considered a candle lantern? You can cut the side from a soda can and stick a 12 hour candle or a tea candle in there. This is light compared to a lantern + fuel bottle.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

thanks, Daniel. I was going to add the link to "how to" candle lantern, so here ya go: http://zenstoves.net/Wax.htm

specific attention to the DIY "hansens" soda can

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

My Zebralight H50-Q5 headlamp has an exceptionally wide beam pattern, making it suitable for general area illumination. There is an included baffle to limit the beam width that is easily removed. It weighs 2 oz, including headband and battery. Runs on a single AA battery. Depending on what you need, it might be good enough.

James Waechter
    BPL Member

@weegie5

Quoting jdk906s:

I don't know if it matters in your case but matches are far more reliable than piezo ignition or lighters at altitude. (It matters up where I hike).

I hadn't given any thought to elevation, but almost all the hikes I'll be doing are over 9,000'. Good point.

Quoting magillagorilla:
    Have you considered a candle lantern?

I had never heard of a candle lantern until I searched for "lantern" here in the forum a few days ago. (I'm still very new to this lightweight business.) That's a pretty cool idea, and it could be fun to make.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools