Topic

Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Roger, again your MYOG continues to impress ! Did you source that locally in Oz, and can I ask what the mesh sizing is (I assume it has a sizing like thread has a denier and paper a gsm and the like), and did you 'press' it yourself ?

Overall nice thread and topic – I have been considering giving away the mini-espresso machine that I have been wedded to when walking for 15 years…. and was recently thinking 'I wonder how folks make cowboy coffee ?' And now I know !

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I've been using the Mini-Minit coffee filters for backpacking for years:

mini-minit

They work great! They're practically weightless and you can leave the plastic stick at home unless wooden sticks can't be found where you're going. Perfect for loose leaf tea as well. You can get them at Amazon also.

G

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

I got an eMail from SBUX offering free samples (get 'em whilst they last…!) of a new (shudder) instant (shudder) coffee…. I'm going to try it (under controlled circumstances…), but I'm not expecting much. It would be nice not to have to deal with the grounds, I suppose.

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/c17-instant-coffee.aspx

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I still don't see the problem with Folger's singles.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Julian

Sorry – missed your query. Probably away at the time.

I made it myself using a fine SS mesh, SS Mig welding wire and a small spot welder. Circle base and rectangle wall.

Mesh size … Um … I don't know. Certainly a fine filter mesh, but the fabric was actually scavenged.

But there are plenty of alternatives around, including one from GSI: "Ultralight Java Drip 79460"

cheers

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I basically do cowboy style coffee but then I filter the finished product through my MSR mugmate. This works a lot better than putting the grinds directly in the mugmate and either pouring water off it (which just runs out the sides) or submerging it in a mug (which takes forever and makes weak coffee).

I supposed I could just use a regular paper coffee filter instead of the Mug Mate, but I don't really need that fine of filtration and that's slower (although lighter unless you're going for weeks).

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

The problem with Folger's singles is: Flavor. Yes, it's an individual preference, and yes, I am a self-proclaimed "coffee snob".

David Heath

@snowguy

Locale: Boulder Colorado

In September I bought some instant coffee that was recently introduced at Starbucks. They claimed it would taste as good as their fresh brewed and I found this, to my surprise, to be true. No extra equipment needed, just boil,pour and drink with your usual additives.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Snowguy is absolutely right. This stuff is really good, and I HATE instant coffee… It's called VIA. I just wish they sold it in other than individual packets.

Bill Poett

@wpoettaol-com

Locale: Santa Barbara

My morning cup of "Joe" is one of my favorite rituals, instead of brewing I'm sipping the Starbucks Columbian instant and by choice. Its awesome ;0)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Something to watch while having a cup. BPL in a fine moment in time.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

But can it be done in a "group coffee cooking situation"? We need an updated ad…uh…podcast.

Matt

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!