Topic

How do I bind closed cell foam?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How do I bind closed cell foam?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

I want to used closed cell foam to make protective pouches for my photography equipment while backpacking. I've researched the available wraps, cases, and pouches and they seem heavy for what they do and are overpriced for how simple they are.

I want to create my own pouches from a cut cut closed cell foam pad purchased from REI. I'm just not sure how to bind and seal the seams of the pouches. Can you sew closed cell foam? Would glue work? What type of glue would be best? The foam I want to work with is between 1/4 and 3/8 inch thick.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

I've had some success using contact cement (from the hardware store) to bind/join the edges of closed cell foam…but I've only done so on the "finished" edges of the foam pad. For the protective sleeves I've made, the clean cut of the outside edges of a new pad can be joined in a very durable seam following the contact cement directions (paint it on with the supplied brush, allow to dry for the specified time and then join).

FWIW, I've also used duct tape or clear plastic (mailing) tape to join edge seams, though that's not especially attractive.

Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

I don't really care how they look, just that they work. The whole collection of gear will be kept inside a drybag stuff sack. I had thought of tape, but wasn't sure if the tape glue would leak. I'll have to give it a try.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Barge Cement is probably the best way to go. Here is a link to make a pot cozy out of closed cell foam
    Barge Cement Cozy

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

ditto Tad's suggesting of Barge cement. Our local hardware chain carries it (part of the Ace hardware "chain"). I've used it successfully on blue foam and a ridgerest pad.

If the methods shown in the Barge Cement Cozy instructions do not seem sturdy enough for you then augment the glued joints by barge cementing a narrow strip of light wt nylon cloth over the joint.

edit: I have a 12×20 z-folding bluefoam sit pad that used duct tape to hold the sections together … used 4 seasons (MN) … still holding well after several years

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I made a pot cozy from an old ridgerest and duct tape, and the thing has held up for well over 1000 miles of backpacking the last few years, with few signs of wear. It definitely looks homemade, but it's worked fine.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Kari

> I'm just not sure how to bind and seal the seams of the pouches.
    I made my own camera pouch too. WP/B fabric outer, then a layer of 5 mm CCF, then a spinnaker liner just sewn to the outer at the top.

> Can you sew closed cell foam?
    Yes – best done with the Lycra-clad neoprene, but possible.

> Would glue work? What type of glue would be best?
    Yes. Contact, Gorilla, PU sealant…

Cheers

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Yup, Barge Cement

Made some foam double boot liners from that with tricot
    glued to the inside and pu ripstop glued to the outside.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Made some foam double boot liners from that with tricot
    glued to the inside and pu ripstop glued to the outside.

Nice idea! Did you bond the fabric to the foam before or after assembly?

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

3M FoamFast 74 Spray Adhesive is exactly what you are looking for If you want something stronger go for the 77 spray adhesive or headliner adhesive.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jesse- you could have even suggested 3M- 90 adhesive.

Unknown abc

@edude

Perhaps duct tape? Just a redneck's 2 cents!
    I used duct tape with closed cell foam and aluminum foil to make a pot cozy once, weighed about 2 oz.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I've had many years of use on a cup coozy made with the packing tape and lighter than duct tape. If you use the clear type it kind of destroys the red neck looks though.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I find PU the easiest to work with when gluing thin closed cell foam or neoprene.

Common brand names in the US are Shoe Goo, AquaSeal, Marine Goop, and many other brand names. Look for Goo or Goop in the name and it is probably the same kind of PU.

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

I used Gorilla Tape to make a custom fit camera case and lens case from a Walmart blue foam pad. It held up fine, but in hot weather small amounts of tape goo would stick to my lenses and camera — just the outer plastic, I kept tape away from the lens elements. I sold the camera eventually, and it came off easily enough with isopropyl.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools