Topic

Thorofare Pants + shorts?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
John Myers BPL Member
PostedJan 13, 2009 at 7:59 am

I could use some advice and/or opinions:

I'm planning a CT hike this summer and am using my ExOfficio convertable zip pants for both my long pants and shorts. They weigh 12.5 oz but include mesh shorts so I don't take extra underwear.

I like the Thorofare pants at 4 oz, but would then need an extra pair of shorts and maybe underwear.

Any good, light options for shorts? I like my ExOfficio boxer briefs at 2.9 oz, but my other hiking shorts weigh 8 oz so I don't really gain anything by going with the Thorofare.

Thanks,
John

Sam Haraldson BPL Member
PostedJan 13, 2009 at 9:38 am

I've always been against shorts in the backcountry. I carry long pants which weigh about 11 oz. When I get warm I simply roll the pant legs up and have shorts with no extra weight needed for zippers or a separate pair of shorts.

PostedJan 13, 2009 at 11:23 am

>I've always been against shorts in the backcountry. I carry long pants which weigh about 11 oz. When I get warm I simply roll the pant legs up and have shorts with no extra weight needed for zippers or a separate pair of shorts.

That would require the lower leg of the pants to be wider than your thighs. In my experience this is pretty hard to find unless you have stick thighs. A half length ankle zip helps.

If you are not planning on bush-bashing in shorts, you could get away with something like satin boxers…

PostedJan 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

John:

I've recently switched to your system of Thorofare pants with running shorts and am very pleased with the change. I use an excellent short from Under Armour, but unfortunately it doesn't have the model written on it, and I can't find it online (bought it at REI last year). My favorite part is the mesh up the sides, which really helps air circulate around the mesh inner. There are also no pockets, which I think helps breathability quite a bit (I use hipbelt pockets for my small storage needs).

You should be able to find a good pair of running shorts with no liner to use with your ExOfficio boxers, but I would make sure it has no pockets. I think the combination of boxers, shorts, pocket fabric, and Thorofare pants would become too sweaty and confining. In fact, that's why I prefer the liner briefs in my shorts; that way the only layers on my thighs are the very thin shorts and very thin pants (sans any pocket fabric in front or rear areas).

John Myers BPL Member
PostedJan 13, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Sam,
Can you do that with the Thorofare pants?
It looks like the leg is tapered which could limit how much it could be rolled up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...