Topic

New Tealight stove design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New Tealight stove design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sam Minnich

@samuraiprecision

I've been playing around with alcohol stoves for a while, and have come up with this design. The normal tea light was to small for me, but I found some party candles with a bigger cup. It holds 1 and a half oz fuel. Here it is compared to a regular tea light:Tea Light Comparison
    I made a pot stand for it out of 0.5 mm aluminum sheet:stove in stand
    I designed a windscreen out aluminum baking tray to use with my MSR Titan pot:with windscreen
    The burner weighs 2 grams, the stand 5 grams, and the windscreen 9 grams, for a total weight of 15 grams. I was able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 oz of fuel in 10 minutes. I've calculated the efficiency at 56%. Here's a couple pictures of it in action:Lightingheating water
    The thing I really like about the tea light stove is it requires no priming, and it's easy to pour excess fuel back into my fuel bottle. The one thing i need to make though is a snuffing cover. Please leave your thoughts and comments, I'd love to hear some input.

-Sam

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I compared the performance of an open container type alcohol stove such as yours with other types. I found you can increase your stove's power output to make it nearly the same as the other stoves (of similar size) by adding a wad of fiberglass insulation. It doesn't add much weight and it retains the alcohol in the event of a tip.

As for the snuffer, why not make the pot stand so you can move it out of the way? Then you could snuff it by setting the pot on it momentarily without adding the weight of a snuffer to your kitchen.

H

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Nice setup and great efficiency figures Sam.

Have you tried it outdoors in a breeze yet?

Sam Minnich

@samuraiprecision

I've tried it in a light breeze,and it seems to do just fine. It seems to just burn a little bit faster when the wind hits it. I'm waiting for a particularly windy day to see how it does then.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools