Topic

Rainbow Tarptent Questions

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Three questions for ye solo Rainbow tarptent users:

1. Have you ever had the need to unclip the floor? The four plastic corner clips sometimes come undone — I'm thinking of getting rid of the clips and just connect with four short pieces of plastic ties.

2. Upper vent — door side — same story as above re. the plastic clip. Have you ever needed to unclip?

3. Upper vent — opposite side — there's a tie-out strap similar to the door-side vent — but nothing to tie to! Is there supposed to be a clip on the back side as well?

Thanks in advance.

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I have a DR, here's my answers.

1. My floor is always clipped. I don't ever see a reason to unclip it. (I wish there was less excess mesh which is there because of the modular floor)
2. My vents are always unclipped, but I have no reason to cut off the clips.
3. Can't answer.

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Hi Ben
I will adress only number 1 because I don't have number two ( later mod) and I did ask about 3 but can't remember now.
Un-clipping the floor is only useful if you need more room for that unexpected guest. When you do that two standard size mats will fit side by side. In my mind even a space hog like you does not need that extra room for solo trips .
Franco

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 4:43 pm

1. I've never unclipped my floor. If I were camping with two, I would take a larger shelter.

2. I have no idea what that door clip is supposed to do, I keep it clipped (maybe it stiffens the beak)?

3. This attachment on the back is a total mystery to me. Every time I set up the tent I stare at it for a full 5 minutes, trying to figure out what to do with it!

Maybe Henry will let us in on his secrets.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Thanks, all.

Since posting, I've taken out all the plastic clips and replaced them with plastic twist ties. Probably minimal weight savings, but at least they won't come undone on their own — unlike the clips.

Michael:

I haven't had the Rainbow in wind-driven rain yet, but without anchoring the edge of the vent 'hood', I can picture winds blowing at it and exposing the mesh.

I've replaced the plastic clip with a strip of plastic twist tie and connected it to the guyout on the door. As for the backside vent hood, I've added a guyline to connect with the bottom guyline — so both will share one stake.

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 5:49 pm

> 2. I have no idea what that door clip is supposed to do, I keep it clipped (maybe it stiffens the beak)?

Not sure I understand the question but there is a clip most of the way up the beak that marries up to the beak vent (and prevents the beak vent from blowing open).

There is also a clip at the edge of the zipper which marries up to the elastic along the floor lip. As shipped the elastic is too long to pull the floor up–it only prevents the floor edge from rolling under–so you'll need to tie a knot is it to shorten it up.

> 3. This attachment on the back is a total mystery to me. Every time I set up the tent I stare at it for a full 5 minutes, trying to figure out what to do with it!

There is also a loop and clip system on the back wall and back floor edge which is designed to pull up/out the edge of the adjacent floor.

> Maybe Henry will let us in on his secrets.

Does that help?

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 5:56 pm

"There is also a loop and clip system on the back wall and back floor edge which is designed to pull up/out the edge of the adjacent floor."

Henry — You just made me open up my Rainbow again. Looking at the outside floor, along the edges of the two long sides, I don't see any loop or clip. As far as I can tell, the back vent hood clip has nothing to connect to.

Can you kindly post a pic or two?

PostedJan 13, 2009 at 10:08 am

Ben,

Not sure if it's missing on yours. I believe that there's supposed to be an elastic loop at the midpoint along the back well hem as well as a clip on the inside of the back wall, model year depending. Send it in for repair or we can send you materials. Email off-line.

-H

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...