I'm looking for a "side entry" bivy vs. end-opening. It doesn't have to be XUL. Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
I'm looking for a "side entry" bivy vs. end-opening. It doesn't have to be XUL. Any recommendations?
Thanks.
One "side entry" bivy that's light (about 6 oz), good for use under a tarp, and pretty inexpensive (about $60) is the Equinox Ultralight Bivy Cover. Not as much protection as other bivys for standalone protection, and apparently no bug net although some product descriptions say there is.
See the Equinox Ultralight Bivy at:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bivydetail.cfm/EQ3000
JRS
Mountain Laurel Designs makes the Soul bivy Side Zip. MLD's reputation is excellent. You can read about a user's experience here.
The Link to the MLD Soul Bivy Side zip
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=38&osCsid=ca664e69d1e998ed69f7b146f3202e76
Dirk
Check out the Mountain Laurel Designs Soul Side Zip bivy
Dennis,
you didint mention in OP what you will be using it for and maybe people here already know your hiking style – but obvioulsy there is a great diff btw a water resistant DWR bivi, a waterproof breathable bivi and a bombproof alpine/bigwall
the first kind is great under tarp or when you feel that precip is a small concern. Indeed the MLD look great and there are the BMW Nano series. There are also a bunch of them from the more traditional companies (like ID). the pros – very light and breathable; cons – not waterproof
the second kind (which i use for general 3 season) is wp/B like goretex, event and all those. MLD have one that looks great (alpin bivi) and you could get the soul with event top. and again many other have it (ID, montbell, bibler, teranova, rab etc). these will weigh more and breath less but could protect you from the elements if use w/o tarp.
the last kind is the same but just more features like bombproof floor that you can sleep on ground w/o worries, some have hoopes etc.
Mike
Good points, Mike.
I think the water resistant would satisfy my needs.
Right now I'm going through a HUGE internal debate to see if I'm ready to jump to a tarp or floorless shelter. I went on my first trip 2 years ago and, at the recommendation of a friend, got a double wall 2-person tent for myself. (Suffered a lot on the hike.) I tried it again for a second trip and definitely want to go lighter but the jump is intimidating.
I've gone through the debate on single person dbl wall and tarp tents but am now investigating whether I want to make it a complete jump straight to tarp.
My hang up is moisture and yearly I go a fishing trip with a cousin but the location changes so I can't predict the environment and condensation risk.
Any sage words?
Dennis… It's almost one of those situations that if you have doubts about jumping straight to a tarp, you may be better off not doing it until you're sure. My suggestion would be try a tarp tent for awhile and if you find that it's plenty for you, then possibly you could make the jump to a tarp from there.
Dennis,
Johns advice is sound and safe. But I say make the jump to a tarp and bivy yesterday. Get started with a nice bivy with bug netting, maybe a MLD Soul Bivy (6.9 oz – $205.00) or TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy (5.8 oz – $115.00) along with a nice silnylon tarp such as a MLD Grace Solo Plus (9.6 oz – $125.00) or an Oware CatTarp 1.1 (8 oz – $76.00)and go hiking. Start with shorter summer season trips and as your confidence/experience grows you can push your use into longer, wetter and cooler trips. An event bivy coupled with larger tarp will provide added coverage for a wider range in weather but cost more upfront or use a TT for such outings (the best of both).
Become a member to post in the forums.