Topic

Snowshoe Trip in Norway – Tarp or Tent recommendation?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJan 11, 2009 at 11:54 am

I am planing a 4 day snowshoe Trip in Norway this march (2 people) and I would be happy to get any recommendations for a tarp or tent. I read I need a storm safe tent.

I often make weekend snowshoe trips and sleep unter a tarp (Six Moon Design Wild Oasis) and will get a MLD DuoMid in the next weeks. But I only make good weather trips and know the area and set up the Tarp protected from trees.

Chris Townsend BPL Member
PostedJan 11, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Where are you going in Norway? It's a big country! That said, you are likely to be camping above timberline on exposed sites in many areas. Standard tents for this are tunnel tents such as Hillebergs and geodesic domes. I've used both successfully in big storms in Norway. They are quite heavy however. Single skin pyramid tents can also work well. I used a GoLite Hex 3 (now Shangri-La 3) on a ski tour in Sarek in Arctic Sweden and it worked fine dug into the snow.

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 8:24 am

Hi Chris,
I plan a trip to Dovrefjell national park. A 60 km trip from Kongsvoll to Lonset, 150 km south of Trondheim.

Johannes.

Chris Townsend BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 11:29 am

Hi Johannes, Doverfjell is big open tundra country. I've been there once but don't know it very well. Camp sites are likely to be exposed so I'd certainly want a wind resistant tent. I'd probably use the Hex 3.

PostedJan 13, 2009 at 11:50 am

Hi Chris,
yes I heard a lot of good things about the Golite Hex.

BTW can you recommend Doverfjell for a first snow trip in norwey? I am still open for a good ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...