Topic

Sleeping Bags

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Well I have looked at a few sleeping bags in the last couple of months and have some trouble getting one to fit.

As I was, and still am, a bit of a restless sleeper it suffices to say I need a bag with a bit of room in it.
I'm 5'10, fit a 42/44 T-shirt and 38 width pants.
I tried the Marmot Eco Pro 15 Reg (61" shoulder, 58" hip, 40" foot box, 72" length), it felt uncomfortably snug. When I zipped it up, I kind of felt like I was in a straight jacket. I had little room to move my legs and feet. After closing the zipper I had very little room to move my arms across my chest and almost could not them lie at my sides. Rolling onto my side was out of the question.
I then tried on the Marmot Tresles 20 Semi Rectangular Regular with slightly better results (66" shoulder, 64" hip, 52" foot box, 72" length). While the hip/leg space and foot box was more comfortable, rolling over was not easy and I thought the bag was still a bit 'smallish'.
The next bag I tried on was the North Face Mammoth (66" shoulder, 60" hip, 42" foot box, 87" length). It was a tad smaller than the Tresles model and for some reason it seemed to be shorter though it is sized much longer and I should have been vertically lost in the bag.

Are there larger, off-the-shelf, non rectanguler bags out there or am I looking at something custom or rectangular?
I know I just scratched the surface and I am definietly going to try other stores nearby.

PostedJan 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I too, am looking for a new bag that is light, warm and will accommodate my restless sleeping. While researching I have come across the Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger series of sleeping bags. So far I haven't found a negative review. THough I haven't tested one out yet, the 15 degree bag is now on the top of my list. Also Western mountaineering has some very highly rated semi-rectangular bags that have more room in them, though they are higher priced in the temp range I would like.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John G BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Try one of Marmot's long mummy bags. The arm and hip areas are significantly rooomier than most. The extra length will also give you more room to move your legs around. The long mummy will also be noticeably warmer and smaller packing than a semi-rectangular bag.

PostedJan 12, 2009 at 8:27 am

I have one of the MB SS series, and I think you may like them. Try and find a quality outfitter that carries them that you can get to. Fit is somewhat unique to each person, and I would urge you to try before you buy. You can try on the internet, will cost you shipping back the bag, if you don't like it. Be sure you know the return policy of the firm you deal with. Could be the easiset way, depending on where you live, and quality outfitters near or far from you. I am slim guy, and for me, the rating of theit bags is spot on. if you like the MB ones, and you are stretching them out, go a model lower in temp for best results. Good luck.

Laurence Beck BPL Member
PostedJan 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Paul, I was thinking about the Montbell ULSS Down Hugger #4 which is rated for 35 deg F and weighs 23 oz. If I use this bag and wear the Mont Bell Down Inner Parka and Pants in the bag, do you think wearing this extra bulk in the bag will compress the loft by stretching it and will reduce the bag's effective rating?

PostedJan 20, 2009 at 6:52 am

I would have a hard time commenting on your question, because size is so different. For me, 6' 170#, kinda long and skinny, restless side sleeper, the MB bags just drape and fit perfectly, in long length. If you are shorter than 6', the regular would be OK, but 6' or more, long for sure. I can put extra clothes on or in the bag, like your stuff no problem, no reduction of insulation. I don't like to wear extra stuff,only base layer and hat, but simply add warmer stuff to my bag draped over me. And I buy/bring a warmer bag than likely needed, because I never want to be cold.

My main point was that if you are a bigger, burly type person, the SS feature is great, but IMO it increases the temp rating on MB bags when you stretch them, so buy a lower rated bag for the worst temp you may encounter. Like if you are a big person, and the worst temp u expect is 30, buy the 25 degree bag, not the 30 degree on. If you are slimmer type, I think their ratings are pretty good to right on. Hope this helps.

PostedJan 30, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I have a #3 UL SS Hugger. It is rated 30^ but I have used it down to 22^ with LW top, MW bottoms, hiking socks, a beeny and my FF Hyperion vest. I was a bit cool. If I had warmer layers with me, It would have been good a lot colder. Good deal for 23 oz.

I am 5-8 and 162

If I can find a used one at a good price, I will get the #1 too.

PostedJan 30, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I'm a restless sleeper and I recently purchased a Kelty Lightyear form Moontrail.com

It's a 25 degree rated bag that is MUCH wider than most mummy bags. So far I've only slept in it in my bed, but I'm hiking with it next weekend.

They still have some I believe for $109.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...