Topic

Other gaiter options?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I am looking for gaiters or something like a gaiter to go from trail runners or boots up to where my ULA Rain Wrap lets off. Mostly this is for heavy rain and snow and will be used very sporadically and not with crampons but maybe with Microspikes. I like the MLD LightSnow gaiters but is there anything else or any technique I could use to get by? Not really looking for anything heavy or expensive. Thanks.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm

You could try the ID eVent gaiters. IMO gaiters will just funnel more rain into your shoes.

Michael Martin BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 4:27 pm

>> IMO gaiters will just funnel more rain into your shoes.

The trick to using gaiters is to "shingle" them with your pants. So, the gaiters go under the pants at the top (or tuck into your tights). This solves the funnel problem and allows you to use shorter, lighter gaiters than you could otherwise. :)

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Yeah, that is what I do with my frogg togg pants and it works fine. The OP said it's for use with a rain skirt though.

I like my rain skirt, but I only use it when it's warm enough that soaked trail runners won't bother me.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 9:39 pm

I would wear my DriDuck pants but don't think they will stand up to long for wear and tear and most of the other options are just to heavy.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 9:54 pm

My frogg togg pants are 5 years old and good to go. I used them for snowshoeing last week actually.

Are paclite rain pants really that heavy?

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I use Mont Bell stretch gaiters. The shingle thing defeats keeping the bottoms of my rain pants from getting muddy, which is a major reason for using them. Use the military "blousing" of pant legs to prevent funneling water with your gaiters– fluffing the pant legs out and over the gaiter tops.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...