Topic

Intentional Delamination

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Curt Peterson BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 6:37 am

I have an older anorak that has a peeling laminated membrane. I believe it's actually Activent, which is essentially thin Gore-tex. White, peels off in tiny pieces if you can get a corner up.

Anyway, this would make a pretty good windshirt and I want to get all the membrane off for maximum breathability. Looking for advice on how to remove it. I've heard that putting it in an ammonia mixture for awhile will do it. Any experience or caution with that approach?

Thanks!

Tad Englund BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Years ago I made the mistake of trying to clean an old tent rain fly by putting it in the wash machine. After it stopped and I pulled it out there were weird yellow strips of stuff everywhere! The waterproof coating pealed off the back in about half the fly and it was all over the washer. It was a pain to clean up, but the fly fabric was really soft and thin in the places it came off.
I wouldn't try this again, all the crap that that washed out with the water probably isn't the best for the septic system, and what a pain to clean up!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...