Topic

REI Peak UL: Reg or Compact?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 1:44 am

Ok… Silly/Frivelous Question

Buying a pair of REI Peak UL for my girlfriend (with the ridiculous sale and all)… what opinions/experiences are available on the Regular versus Compact lengths?

Regular vs. Compact
– More versatile – Tarps/Shelters (My TT Rainbow "needs" 130mm poles to freestand)
– Slightly heavier (12.5 vs. 11.2)
**- Stronger (more overlap at the joints)?

She is 5'7 and probably uses about a 115mm length which is well inside the 125mm limit of the Compact size.

What do you think? Regular or Compact?

PostedJan 10, 2009 at 2:47 am

I am also 5'7" and use a regular set at 115 mm. I got the regular size to give me more shelter options. I've been using them for 2 years now and have been pretty happy with them.

CW BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 5:31 am

My GF is also 5'7" and uses the regular peak ul.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 8:52 am

Nick:

My old pair of poles was a Peak UL Compact and it was plenty long for me. I can't imagine why she would need anything longer — unless she plans to use poles for a freestanding tarptent Rainbow (prolly unlikely).

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 11:10 am

With the reviews they have on them at REI I wouldn't get either.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 11:53 am

Nick was asking specifically about the REI Peak UL — but yeah, I have to agree with Brett — I would choose something else as well. It's why I returned mine.

First Last BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 5:22 pm

These poles work best in the middle of their range, meaning they will slip easier in the extreme end, which in this case is 125 cm. So if your GF wants them to be adjusted long, say 125 cm, whilst doing steep down hills, they might slip at the most inopportune time.

I have these poles and love them. Even got a new pair after I left mine at the trail head once. They are high quality poles made by Comperdell, light weight, adjustable, have a comfortable strap and if she has any trouble with them REI will take them back no questions asked.

PostedJan 10, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for your responses everyone.

As ridiculous as the original question was, all the answers really helped me. I think I'll exchange the Compact ones for the full length ones. Reasons being shelter versatility, strength, and just cause I like how REI lets me be fickle.

Thanks for speaking for me Ben. lol. Btw, I rode (MTB) up to the Mt. Wilson tunnel today… past Inspiration point. 24 mile ride… wanna go hiking soon?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...