Topic

Western Mountaineering bag materials: Microlite XP vs. Gore Dryloft

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Dave . BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 12:24 pm

So, I'm in the market for a nice winter bag, and while at a local gear shop on this afternoon's lunch break, I found a great deal on a WM Antelope. However, the catch is that the bag is made with the old Gore Dryloft (now renamed Gore Windstopper I was told at the shop).

My initial thinking is that, yeah, this material is a little heavier than the Microlite, but that I can more than put up with that given the price. However, I thought I'd run this past the board:

Are there any non weight-related downsides to the Dryloft material? How does it breathe compared to Microlite? That sort of thing…

Thanks,
Dave

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Dave,
I have this same WM bag and like it very much. This is the sleep system I use for winter snowshoeing adventures. The GWS shell adds a little weight but provides for around a 5* lower temp rating. The material allows for good down loft and is very durable. If offered at a good price and a 0* rating fits your needs I would not hesitate to pick up this great sleeping bag.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Dave,
I've got one of these, too, and I love it. Technically speaking, the Dryloft/WS isn't as breathable as the microfiber shell. In practice, though, I've never had a moisture problem in the bag b/c of the DL shell. One added benefit of the (albeit heavier) DL shell is that it's remarkably downproof. I think I've lost all of about 5 plumes in 15 years! Go for it.

Dave . BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Thanks guys. Good to get some first hand info like this.

Thom, have you actually used the bag in 0* conditions? How was it? What other pieces of gear were used (sleeping pad, parka etc.)? What temp do you guys think it's usable down to with just a thin baselayer on?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...