Topic

RidgeRests for Winter Camping

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Simon Wurster BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 11:40 am

I inherited two short (40") RidgeRest pads (5/8" thick), a few years old (black), but in good shape. I want to use these for winter camping.

I have a Big Agnes Insulated AirCore 78" mummy pad that I use in the pad sleeve of a BA Horse Thief. I will use the Horse Thief as an overbag to a Hyrdrogen (good fit, no compression of down) for a net 5 deg. bag. This combination will be used inside a roomy WP/B bivy sack.

What's the best way to incorporate the RidgeRests?

1. Shorten one pad and combine it with the other to yield a 78" pad, place it underneath the BA pad inside the bivy.
2. Same as Option 1, but place it outside the bivy.
3. Trim both pads to match the mummy shape of the BA, slide them into the Horse Theif's pad sleeve on top of the BA pad.
4. Same as Option 3, but only trim one pad to create a torso-length pad, as that's typically all that's needed.
5. ???

te – wa BPL Member
PostedJan 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

i think you will fare best with the ccf on top of the BA.
you will not be able to use the pad sleeve this way? i dunno. if you dont want one of those pads, send it my way.

i used a 1/4 ccf on top of a BA with a highlite inside an ultralite down to 7° and was almost sweating. I think you will be ok.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...