Hey folks!
I've been away from the forums for quite a while, so I apologize if this has been discussed already.
In looking at some of the new gear being designed and/or discontinued, it seems like companies are moving away from the SUL type gear. A few examples: MLD doesn't have any pack on their site lighter than 10.5 oz, GG's lightest pack shown on their site is 7.5 oz, Golite's new line-up has increased in weight, BPL's newer trekking poles are heavier than the older models, etc.
Maybe some of this has to do with the spinnaker shortage (not sure if that is still going on). Some of you might remember the article I wrote last summer about the lightweight market and it's trends, so this is of particular interest to me. Does anyone think that maybe the industry is going through a similar phase that some of us have gone through – i.e., get the absolute lightest gear possible, think we're awesome, then slowly move toward a little heavier gear for the sake of practicality and functionality?
Any thoughts? Or are these few examples I gave not really representative of the market as a whole?

