Topic

MLD DuoMid delivery time?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD DuoMid delivery time?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

EDIT: I am an idiot who can't use his computer monitor correctly. See my reply a few posts down.

I was wondering what others experiences where when ordering from MLD? On December 25, 2008 I ordered and was charged for a silnylon DuoMid. Recently I was informed by Ron that due to backorders I wonā€™t be receiving my shelter until February 4, 2009. When I ordered the product the website said that it was ā€˜stockā€™ and gave no indication of long delivery times.

As this is my first time ordering a product from MDL I was wondering if this long delivery time (5 Ā½ weeks) is normal.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have ordered many items from MLD in the past and this wait time is fairly normal. Email Ron and visit with him regarding your concern.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

EDIT: I am an idiot who can't use his computer monitor correctly. See my reply a few posts down.

I have corresponded with Ron several times. I was simply told that they have a good deal of orders to catch up on and that I could expect my shelter in four weeks or so (from todayā€™s date). I just wanted to know from other consumers if this was normal.

I have read a great deal of positive reviews on this site about MDL and had never heard of this longer delivery time. It is too bad to hear about the long delivery time on MDLā€™s products. I can understand the longer time frame though, smaller business, well made products.

Personally I think that it should be noted on MDLā€™s website the typical delivery times so consumers can plan accordingly. I was going to use the DuoMid as my winter shelter but it looks like Iā€™ll be missing 1/3 of the season now while I wait by the mailbox.

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio

The current length of the build que and estimated delivery time is always on the front page. It has said 2-5 weeks since 12/23. This is about the shortest its been in a couple of years.

Everything is hand built one at a time as people order them. I have several of their items, and can tell you they are high quality and definitely worth the wait.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

copied from the MLD home page:

MLD NEWS & ORDER DELIVERY INFO BELOW

******************ORDER INFO & NEWS:12/23/2008**************

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Thank You to all our Customers and Friends and we wish you lots of outdoor fun and adventure in 2009.

Our oldest order in the Production Queue right now is about 4 weeks old – A lot shorter than the 12-16 weeks from Summer 2008!!! Most new orders are taking about 2-5 weeks right now. (Your order viewed online will always just say "pending" and that is OK.) Thanks for your Patience while we build your Awesome SUL Gear. PHONE: 540-588-1721

Sneek Peek at 2009: We will start a video product and SUL Hiking guide page on our site. It will feature a lot of short 1 – 10 min How-To movies on our products with a lot of great tips for SUl Backpacking and Adventure sprinkled through out.

We will also ramp up our new production plans by Spring to keep more items in stock for fast shipping.

What are items we don't current build you would like to see? Send us an email to motivate our design team to ROCK!

Peace

Ron

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Yup, here I am, who can't use his computer monitor correctly.

Doh!

That's what I get for using a brand new wide screen monitor with a different resolution! To me it actually looks like MDL's main page ends just below ti pot picture. Scroll down you fool! I did think it was odd not to have production time frames on the website. Shows how much I know.

Well at least now I know what to expect when I order from Ron again, and again, and probity yet again.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Chad,
    Thank you for leading the way. It never occurred to me that anything was lurking below the Ti Cup. I just though Ron was very proud of it, and proceeded elsewhere.

I hope your head heals soon. Although mine is a little chagrined, it is not (yet) damaged.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Just for reference… I ordered a a MLD sil DuoMid on Dec 8, and it arrived in my mailbox last Monday, Dec. 29.

I've had a previous order with MLD take 8 weeks though. Unfortunately, this is par for the course; but it's well worth it in the end.

Enjoy the DuoMid, Chad. Hope your mailbox checking days aren't as anxious as mine were.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Chad! If you get that Duomid before the snow clears in your woods, we've got to get a weekend together and spent a night or two in it. I drooled over that shelter when it first hit MLD's website. I'm eager to see it in person.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I waited weeks for both of my orders from MLD but was happy with both items to the fullest.

Matt and Chad should definitely get together for backpacking up there in 'dem MN Northwoods. If'n I was still there I'd join ya' as well.

Dave T

@davet

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Last summer I called him PHONE: 540-588-1721 to check the availability of a quilt. He had one and I received it promptly and used it.

Before that, a poncho tarp took a while but was about the time the web site quoted.

A real plus of dealing with small businesses like MLD is you can talk to the boss, if necessary, who is directly involved in the product. Even if you don't, the product you will receive within a reasonable time (but probably longer than a large business product) is of the finest craftsmanship.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Hey Matt,

Don't worry, the snow will still be here in February! Once I get my DuoMid I'll let you know and we can get out for some winter backpacking.

Untill then I will be waiting by my mailbox waiting. Hmm, since my order went through on the December 25th I may get my DuoMid by January 23rd!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I'd call it tasty goodness! Yum!

Well I just got a message from Mr. Bell at MLD. I should be getting my DuoMid the middle of next week. Apparently Mr. Bell ran into a few issues with his work staff and people getting ill. This is why my initial delivery time of 4 weeks has increased to 7 1/2 weeks.

As soon as I get my DuoMid I'll take it out for an overnight trip and let you folks know how it fared.

Iā€™m so excited!

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

All I can say is Wow! Very nice construction quality; nice compromise on features and weight. A basic four-stake setup right out of the box the first time took 60 seconds. In terms of room, it is a palace as compared to my Rainbow I. And it stakes tight to the ground for pretty wind-proof setup if it is really nasty out. The doorway is usable even with the bottom buckle in place, serving to help keep weather off your gear inside. It is my first floorless shelter and this will take a little adjustment on my part. I have added the Gossamer Gear ground sheets to my kit and will most likely take both with me. Memorial Day weekend is the White Mountain Wilderness in southern New Mexico – provided that the flu doesn't get us all first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools