Topic

Seam Sealing (or Glue Rage!)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJan 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Warning: this post written under the influence of toxic fumes!

I've just been seam sealing a bivy bag (ID Crysallis) with a view to taking it out on it's maiden voyage at the weekend. Problem: the tiny tube of seam sealer isn't (under my clumsy motor skilled, inexperienced seam sealing hands) going to finish the job. I've almost done all the seams on the top half of the bag. I won't have enough for the taped seam which joins the event upper to the base.

Question: Am I advised to abandon the planned and already delayed voyage until additional seam sealer is purchased (I'll need to send off for some). The weather shouldn't be very wet but it is suggested that the bivy is sealed when new and clean.

Additional question: is it because it is such an irritating job that manufacturers don't do the seam sealing themselves (or offer the service at additional cost).

Thanks for your time in answering these questions and allowing me to rant.

Yours in toxic frustration

David

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedJan 6, 2009 at 3:43 pm

David,

I feel your pain, having spent 4 hrs or more seam sealing my MLD eVent Soul Side Zip.

Something I wanted to ask you about….the seams in question that you have not sealed are taped?

If they are taped, isn't that done in place of seam sealing by manufactures as a faster and easier way for them (does not mean the best way) to seam seal something?

If that is the case, are you then done?

Again, if this is the case, then it would mean that you are ready to go.

If not, I would wait til the job is done right with clean fabric to work with. (I am pretty anal about this sort of thing myself).

I found that if you stuff your bivy or sleeping bag full of comforters, blankets, other sleeping bags, it puffs up the item that you are seam sealing to make it easier to expose the seams you are sealing.

Also, when the seam sealer is dry, you probably want to dust it lightly with some baby powder.

I found that the seam sealer material was tacky to the touch and when it came into contact with other parts of the bivy that was seam sealed, it could stick to the other areas and tear the seal sealer.

The baby powder takes care of this problem easily.

Do it in a bathtub, so that the excess powder does not get everywhere or do it outside and give the bivy a good shake when you are done.

Hope that this helps and good luck!

P.S. The reason why manufactures don't offer this is probably because it is just so darn labor intensive. I have seam sealed my bivy and my sleeping bag….requires many hours of patience and a steady hand.

-Tony

PostedJan 6, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Tony,

That is very helpful. I'm afraid I'm not a detail person. But it's probably good for my soul!

Maybe you're right about the taped seams. I'm not that clear after reading the ID instructions. Maybe someone with an ID bivy of similar design might pop in with the answer.

Rick Dreher BPL Member
PostedJan 6, 2009 at 4:48 pm

David,

Your zeal is to be commended, but I wouldn't skip a trip simply because there are still some unsealed seams (unless you're planning on some immersion testing).

A simple cleanup when you get home of any unsealed areas using alcohol prior to applying the goop will do the trick. At least that's been my experience with SeamGrip (if that's what you're using).

It IS a miserable job, no matter how many times I do it. My record is three tubes over two days on a one-man tent, and I was exhaling toluene (or…?) for a week.

PostedJan 6, 2009 at 4:58 pm

You could always thin it with mineral oil or alcohol so it goes further and applies more smoothly. Just a thought…

PostedJan 7, 2009 at 12:30 am

Hi David.
Taped seams don't need any more sealant applied. My ID all e-vent bivvy was fully seam taped when it arrived, and didn't require any further sealing.
You can't tape sil-nylon as far as i'm aware, so you should only need to apply sealant to the sil-nylon seams on the bivvy, not the e-vent ones.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 7, 2009 at 2:01 am

> You can't tape sil-nylon as far as i'm aware
Not true. I do it to my tents. But you need some esoteric and expensive silicone adhesive tape for this.

Otherwise, I agree.

Cheers

PostedJan 8, 2009 at 1:47 am

Thanks for the additional comments folks. They've put my mind at rest and given me more useful suggestions. Looking forward to my trip at the weekend!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...