Topic

Making the Photon light easier to find

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making the Photon light easier to find

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joy Menze
    BPL Member

@catamountain

Reading about the yellow, Special Edition Photon Freedom (there are some links on that page that give instructions on how to operate the light on 50% power, revert to demo mode (to prevent accidental power on), and other good stuff) finally inspired me into modifying my Photon Lights to make them easier to find.

I often carry more than one colored light. Painting part of the body helps me locate the colored light I want. Also the 2x brighter LED used in the latest Freedom projects an obnoxious halo around the perimeter. Instead of buying a light with a sleeve around the LED, I wrapped tape part way around the base of the light. And the tape can come off if desired.

John austin

@tinny

I noticed antigravitygear sells an LED light very low priced –how does it compare. I know it has an on off switch that will lock eithe on or off
    Ultra-Light LED Light

DESCRIPTION: Mini LED Keychain

FEATURES: Constantly On / Momentary On

BURN TIME: 72 Hrs. (LITHIUM)

BATTERY TYPE: 2 pcs. 3V CR2016 Lithium Battery

BULB TYPE: f5mm LED, White

SIZE: 24mm(W) x 41mm(L) x 9mm(H)

CASING COLOR: Black
    ONLY $3.00

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

only $3

does anyone have any experience with this light, is it as bright the photon light?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think brasslite may even sell some of those.

http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/miscOrder.html#LED

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Tinny & Ryan,

I have a photon and recently tried one of the $3 photon-like lights from AntiGravityGear:

* definitely not the same light
    * pretty much identical size/shape
    * seemed like similar weight, but not being a gram weenie I didn’t bother to weigh them.
    * photon it noticably brighter. The $3 light is bright enough to be usable for task lighting but I’d definitely prefer the photon for night walking or scanning the canpsite for something.
    * there’s a big difference in the switch. Photon’s seems MUCH more robust
    * on the other hand, you can buy 6 of AntiGravity’s for the cost of one photon

YMMV

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Countycomm.com – SO-LED

Comes with swiveling clip (rather than keychain), On/off slide switch, and other colors to sub into the clip are only $1

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

REI has the Photon Micro Light II LED (the key-ring version of the Photon Freedom) on sale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools